[Peace-discuss] Update on Iraq: Ramsey Clark

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 25 11:58:00 CDT 2006

Today fear is omnipresent. The death rate exceeds that of the
genocidal sanctions with more than 500,000 dead after 3 and a half
years of foreign aggression and occupation. Most Iraqis I talk to
insist a million have died, but we do not know. And those killed are
your mother, child, brother, father, friend, neighbor. Death is
indiscriminate and capricious. Those who died were strong and able
this very morning. And all assaults are shrouded in unbridled hatred.

The government of the United States brought this misery to the people
of Iraq.

No one is more aware of the impotence and abject dependence of what
George Bush calls the sovereign democracy he has brought to Iraq than
the President himself.  He knew before we read it on page 1 of the
New York Times for October 18, 2006, that “Senior American officials
including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice... issued stark
warnings to the Maliki government of growing American impatience,
especially at the governments failure to stop the scourge of death
squads operating with the knowledge, or support of the Interior
Ministry...”

“For Maliki, these concerns have taken on a keen personal edge,
exposed Monday when the White House revealed that Mr. Maliki asked
President Bush in a telephone call whether there was any truth to
rumors that the Americans had plans to replace him ‘if certain things
don’t happen within two months,’ in the words of Mr. Bush’s press
secretary, Tony Snow.”

A more pitiful plea of subservience by the head of the government of
a purported democracy of sovereign equality is hard to find in
history.  How long will the American people tolerate these deceptions?

As for U.S. intentions in Iraq, for the first time during my visits,
this October the new U.S. Embassy had risen above the high concrete
barrier sealing it from view.  It is a huge complex with at least 14
cranes still lifting construction materials for its completion, still
on schedule.  They say for next summer.

It is the “Mother of all U.S. Embassies.”   Its initial was cost set
at $570 million.  We will learn of the cost overruns later.  No
Iraqis work on construction of the Embassy, for the same reason the
architects of the Pyramids were murdered.  No outsider must know its
secrets.  It will have its own assured water system and generators
for electricity.

More significantly, it is located in the heart of Baghdad, presently
in the International Zone immediately across from the Iraqi Special
Tribunal where Saddam Hussein and other officials of the government
the U.S. overthrew are on trial.

The U.S. Embassy in Iran was located in the heart of Tehran. It could
not be protected from angry crowds that captured and held the
residual staff and Marine Guards hostage. After that the U.S. has
built secure Embassies removed from easy access by potentially
hostile mobs. But none nearly so large, or expensive as the new U.S.
Embassy in Baghdad.

The ultimate deception is that the Bush Administration intends to
remain in Iraq with sufficient military force to assure the security
of this huge Embassy situated in the center of a metropolitan area of
six million people, a fourth of the nation.

These deceptions, too, are impeachable offenses intended to conceal
the most grievous of all high crimes and misdemeanors.

The people of the United States cannot begin to rehabilitate their
government in the opinion of the peoples of the world, or in the
hearts of their own patriots until we impeach George W. Bush, Dick
Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and others complicit in their crimes against
peace and humanity and continuing war crimes.

We will place a new ad in the New York Times in the coming weeks and
we will continue our mobilization efforts to get Congress to
introduce articles of impeachment. We have been able to make great
strides so far with the support of all those who believe in the
impeachment movement. We need to raise $100,000 in the next few weeks
to place the new newspaper ads.  Please take a moment to make your
generous donation by clicking here.

Ramsey Clark
October 25, 2006
http://www.impeachbush.org/