[Peace-discuss] Anti-lactating feminazis

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 15:03:40 CDT 2006

BTW, JB (if you are reading these days) Odds are...if
you were born in the US...your mother did not
breastfeed you.  Our stats are pitifully low.

My grandmother did not nurse her three children who
survived...this is not because of a women or the
feminists, but because of a man...her doctor.  My
mother did not nurse her three children...again
because of a male doctor.  Nursing rates in the US
declined with the decline of midwifery and with the
men taking over birth and postpartum care nursing
declined.  I have an antique book from my great
grandparents' house  on Obstetrics which says things
like the mother should be told to nurse for as short a
time as possible because it cuts down on sex drive and
the husband would get upset.  She has her marital
duties after all and nursing cuts into that.  Guess it
really isn't those darn feminists after all, eh?  Of
course, we could get into the money to be made by the
formula companies and how they give free samples to
moms before they get out the door of the hospital and
then send free samples to delivered to the mom's door
because they get a list of new moms from the
hospitals.

I do agree and encourage people to come out for the
walk.  It is a lot of fun and after all, some of you
AWARE-istas gave money for it.  This is the 50 year
anniversary of LLL which started in Chicago with a few
moms.  I've met some of the founders and they seem
like feminists to me.  Most of my friends who nurse
consider themselves left-wing and/or feminists...in
fact some of my right-wing nursing friends consider
themselves feminists.  I really don't know one
feminist who against breastfeeding.

The people who I have heard complaining about the
"scandalous" picture are...gasp...Christian and
right-wing (pretty much my entire neighborhood).  So
what.  I know a lot of Christians see nothing wrong
with it.  It is a societal issue not a
left-wing/right-wing, pro-choice/anti-choice,
Christian/Atheists, etc. thing.  It is a huge issue in
our country and I'm guessing it has something to do
with our Puritanical roots, but for whatever reason it
is an issue to nurse in public.  Illinois had to pass
a law to protect a woman's right to nurse in public.
Of course, this law does not apply to "places of
worship" (surprise, surprise) and if the mother is
nursing in a private home they have the right to ask
her to stop or leave.

It is no surprise that the US has issues with breasts,
but let us not fool ourselves into thinking that the
people who started the bra-burning are to blame.
Instead we can all be accepting and supportive of
breastfeeding moms everywhere.

I have to say that I breastfed my child in many an
AWARE meeting and I appreciate you all for being so
wonderful.

Linda

-

> > You would not be where you are without a mother
> who,
> > odds are, breast-fed you.

Linda
http://triballife.net/  A Marketplace for a Better World