[Peace-discuss] Correspondence on the Israel panel

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 15 13:51:32 CDT 2006

[1] Frank Knowles wrote on Wednesday, 9/13/2006 at 4:05pm:

All:

I finally have a panel for "The Confrontation of Israel With Its
Neighbors." ... The Panel is:

     Professor Kenneth Cuno, History Department, University of Illinois
     Professor Frederic Jaher, History Department, Emeritus, University
of Illinois
     Professor Jamal Nassar, Chair, Department of Politics and
Government, Illinois State University
     Professor Michael Shapiro, Director, Program in Jewish Culture and
Society, University of Illinois

In true democratic style, I have shared this info with you after I have
committed myself irrevocably.  I think it is a good panel and I couldn't
wait until the next AWARE meeting to nail it down.   --Frank

=====

[2] Carl Estabrook wrote:

Frank--

You've done a lot of work on this, but I have some hesitations about
this line-up.  Three out of four are supporters in some degree of
US/Israel policy.  I've heard Prof. Nassar, but I think it's asking a
lot to have him carry the weight of critiquing the administration, the
Mearsheimer-Walt report, and the recent war, among other things.  The
Chomsky-Finkelstein position is not represented at all, unless Nassar's
going to do that, and the focus of the panel is supposed to be US policy.

Best, Carl

=====

[3] Frank Knowles wrote:

Carl,

Good to hear from you.  From the policy paragraphs that I received from
these guys, the lineup was clear: Cuno and Nassar on the left, and Jaher
and Shapiro on the right.  I think Cuno will give a solid case against
the US's unconditional backing of Israel, though, no doubt, not as
stinging an indictment of Israel as you or I might think can be made.  I
would rather not have the left focus on the war crimes (or other related
matters) of Israel, but rather on the critique of the US being an ally
of Israel.  I think Cuno will do this.  I enclose his policy paragraph:

"Approximately 40 years ago Israel became a strategic ally of the US.
Since then our policy toward the Arab-Israeli conflict has vacillated
between two approaches, reflecting contrasting strategic visions in
Washington: (1) trying to reconcile the Israeli alliance with our Arab
alliances, by mediating the conflict and working toward a settlement;
and (2) relying on Israel as an asset in our efforts to dominate the
Middle East. The former was characteristic of the Nixon's second term,
Ford, Carter, Bush 41 and Clinton. The latter approach has been
characteristic of Nixon's first term, Reagan and Bush 43. The latter
approach encourages Israeli irredentism, military adventurism and a hard
line in general. It has consistently produced more conflict, not less.
It's bad for Israel, bad for the US and (if anyone cases) bad for the
Arabs, especially the Palestinians."

  --Frank

=====

[4] Frank--

I'd like to see those policy paragraphs, but it's clear from Cuno's (and
from other things he's done) that he sees the issue as one of "policy
options" for Washington.  I thought we were trying to present a
consideration of what the US policy should be, and many people (myself
included of course) think that the US should reverse the policy that's
been common to all recent administrations (Democrat and Republican),
with only prudential differences, of the sort Cuno indicates.  That view
is not represented on this panel.

During the Vietnam War, the "responsible" debate was between those who
supported the administration's potion and those who thought it was
ineffective, too expensive, etc.  That meant that the "responsible
debate" excluded the view that about 70% of the public held by 1969 --
that the war as "fundamentally wrong and immoral," not "a mistake."
(Those last two phrases come from survey data at the time.)

I'm afraid that we'd be making the same error here -- producing a
"responsible debate," and AWARE stands for the irresponsible view that
US policy in the Middle East is once again fundamentally wrong and
immoral.  That view should be represented on the panel.

Regards, Carl

[Here's a comment by an AWARE member on Fred Jaher's views.  --CGE]
     Anti-semitism or Social Injustice? A Response to Fred Jaher by
David Green...
     [See at <http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/27949/index.php>.]

=====

[5] Frank Knowles wrote:

Carl,

If the goal is a balanced panel, there will be views you might not
respect and, since there are only four panelists, there will surely be
some incompleteness in the exposition.  As you predicted at the start,
it is very difficult to get the Administration supporters to break
cover.  So, Jaher is in.  I didn't want Green on the same panel--too
explosive (my judgement from reading his letters to the editor).  I will
approach him for the other two panels.

BTW, are you available for one or two of the other panels; any
preference? Right now, I have only one (leftish) person who has answered
my email expressing interest and he could be on both.  So, you and Green
would fill out the left on the two panels, but I have no right ends.  I
am considering Foreman, but I don't even have other names for this
policy end.

If I had known how my ignorance of the local scene would impact finding
out who is who and who is willing, I wouldn't have started.

Cheers, Frank

=====

[6] Frank--

The problem is that it's not balanced at all.  At least three of the
four *are* administration supporters -- or have only tactical criticisms
of the administration's position.  That's not something AWARE should be
sponsoring.  This panel would be approved of by the Democrats or
Republicans, because it's well within the "limits of allowable debate."

I think you should try to add someone who is opposed to US policy in
principle -- e.g., David Green or Francis Boyle.  Green's expertise is
on this issue, not on the topics of the other two panels. (Mort Brussel
of AWARE is another possibility.) With five panelists, each could make a
ten-minute statement, leaving time for questions and discussion.

And, yes, I am available for either or both of the other panels.  Since
the common topic is what the US policy should be, I think you should try
to balance the panel not between left and right but between those who
who oppose the administration's policy in principle and those who
support it in principle.  Many people who are seen as being on the left
of the Democratic party (our Illinois senators, for example) are in fact
supporters of the war on terrorism and of the Iraq and Lebanon wars,
however much they may seem to criticize the Republicans.

Regards, Carl

=====

[7]  Frank Knowles wrote:

Carl,

I don't want to continue a debate with you about the Israel panel which
is now set.  As to the assertion that AWARE shouldn't be sponsoring this
debate because it is too centrist, I can only say this: 1) a little help
from my friends would have been useful 2) two members of this panel will
challenge the historical unconditional alliance between Israel and the
US 3) Francis Boyle declined, with some heat, to my invitation because
he thought that my request for policy positions ahead of time was
censorship and because he refused to be on a panel with "apologists for
Israel."

As for your comments on "right" and "left," what you said is really what
I meant by "right" and "left."  I hope that your concerns can be met by
the pumping up the question and answer session and by the buzz of the
previous panels, if they materialize.

Best regards (really),
  --Frank

=====

[8] Carl Estabrook wrote:

Frank--

What do you mean by a "a little help from your friends"?  You seem
particularly to have declined help in choosing the panel, as you said.

The alliance between US and Israel -- or rather Israel's almost 40-year
client relationship to the United States -- has never been
unconditional: the US supports Israel for what it gets out of it, ant if
that were to stop, so would the support.  To "challenge the historical
unconditional alliance between Israel and the US" is to attack a straw
man -- at best irrelevant, at worst purposely misleading.

A panel that debates only the modalities of the US support for Israel is
not one that AWARE should be sponsoring.  Are you absolutely refusing to
add a speaker outside of the narrow range now represented?  --CGE

=====

[9] Frank Knowles wrote:

Carl,

This looks like a cat fight. I've just spoken with Durl and we have
agreed that the AWARE Presents working group will report to the AWARE
meeting Sunday night on the state of the Israel panel and they will try
to reach a consensus.  I will be there and I assume that you will be
there too.  As I understand it, there is first an effort at consensus
and then there is something like a "90% rule" vote.  I have made it
clear to Durl that I am not interested in forming a different panel and
I would be happy to withdraw from the panel project entirely if AWARE
feels that it can't support the Israel panel as constituted.

I admit that I am simply flabbergasted by your position, Carl.  Perhaps,
if we had worked as a team from the beginning, we could have navigated
the selection process as we went.  At this point, to change the panel
would be to go back on my understanding with the panelists.  Someone
else will have to do that.

  --Frank

=====

[10] Carl Estabrook wrote:

Frank--

By saying that you're "not interested in forming a different panel" I
assume you're rejecting my suggestion that someone be added to the panel
who objects to the US/Israeli policy consensus followed by Republican
and Democratic administrations alike.  That narrow range of policy
options (inaccurately called "defending Israel") is seen by the rest of
the world as bellicist and racist.  The "Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort"
should be promoting something more than another narrow discussion of
those options.  To do so is to accept the limitations of the US
political establishment and perpetuate the falsehood that that's what
the issue really is, when we ask what US/Israeli policy should be.

Do I have your permission to post our discussion of this matter to the
AWARE mailing list?  --Carl

=====

[11] Frank Knowles wrote:

Carl,

Yes, you do have my permission to post this series of emails to the
AWARE list.  And please include this one.  And if you wish to rebut what
I have here, please send the entire series to me also.  I promise not to
add to the list by giving another reply.

I think now, that it was unwise of me to form this panel on my own after
I realized that you were not going to be a working partner.  I didn't
think that we would have such a sharp difference over what could be a
suitable panel for AWARE to sponsor, so I just did it on my own.  Also,
I think AWARE Presents was in an awkward situation when they agreed to
let me get the panelists and they would do the publicity.  They were
assuming (I guess), since I invoked your name, that I was to be trusted.
  I thought at first that I could come back to AWARE to bless my
choices, but when the time came,  I doubted, if the panel had to be
changed, that  I could get even that panel done by 26 Sep, a date that
would give the publicity for the series of three panels, the two weeks
it would need to really get out there.

Durl will give a report to AWARE on Sunday and I will forthwith forward
to him and to you the bios and position paragraphs that I received from
the panelist.  You may post to the AWARE list the info that I will send
you and Durl.  I think I understand your concern that there should be
someone (at least one) on the panel that AWARE could be sure would
present the collective view of AWARE.  My vision was different. My goal
was to present four academics with expertise in the Middle East whose
views would range from a Palestinian point of view to an Israeli point
of view (I know that this is a crude description of the views out
there).  I did not want a replay of letters to the News-Gazette, though
I figured the question and answer session would work to get other views.
  I believe your real concern is with Cuno who appears to be too soft on
past administrations.  I think his talk would open up the question of
justice, in contrast to the Jaher and Shapiro, who main concern is
defending Israel.

Finally, because of the awkard relationshi cited above, I don't think I
can continue to form the other panels on my own. Moreover, if AWARE
decides to change the Israel panel, I believe my credibility with the
panelists is undermined and I should withdraw as a contact person for
that panel. Actually, AWARE has put little into these panels at this
point and could just drop the whole thing without embarrassment.  Or you
could just take it over.  I am suddenly very tired.

See you Sunday,

Best regards,
--Frank

     ###