[Peace-discuss] British troops forming "federation"

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 16 10:09:36 CDT 2006

Could be a good thing?  Probably mixed.
Ricky

Troops federation set for launch

BBC- Sept 16, 2006

A new federation is being set up to represent British
servicemen and women in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF.

Organisers say the British Armed Forces Federation
(Baff) is not a union but will reflect and promote the
interests of those serving as well as veterans.

Soldiers are banned from taking part in strike action
or political activities.

The idea has arisen from an unofficial website, the
British Army Rumours Service - a focus for the views
of serving personnel and their families.

Chain of command

In January calls for a new body to champion soldiers'
rights were rejected by Defence Secretary John Reid,
but it now appears a launch is imminent.

"We have been speaking to people in the chain of
command, some quite senior, and I have had senior
officers in touch with me saying 'I personally support
you and you must keep going'," said Baff founder
Douglas Young.

The federation will air service personnel concerns
about things like equipment, deployment strength, pay
and conditions, careers, housing and schooling.

"Because of pressure from above the chain of command
cannot handle all these things by themselves, but we
can work with them on many issues," said Mr Young.

The idea for a British Armed Forces Federation sprang
up at the turn of the year out of discontent over kit
shortages in Iraq and prosecutions against troops.

At the time Mr Reid said troops did have legal rights
to complain not only to their commanding officers but
ultimately to the defence council.

'Not keen'

The new federation has not gained the backing of Tory
MP Andrew Robathan, a former officer in the Coldstream
Guards.

"I am generally not keen on such an organisation," he
said.

"Any concerns should be looked at by the chain of
command and politicians. I would rather re-establish
the trust [of servicemen and women] from below."

But Lib Dem peer Lord Garden, a former Assistant Chief
of the Defence Staff, said the federation offered a
way of airing issues that would previously have been
grumbled about in the Naafi canteen or sergeants'
mess.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5351436.stm

Published: 2006/09/16 10:50:22 GMT