[Peace-discuss] Co-sponsor Human Rights Film Series?

Jen Tayabji tayabji at shout.net
Thu Sep 21 16:35:56 CDT 2006

Dear AWARE:

I am contacting you to request the co-sponsorship of your organization for
an upcoming event at the Illinois Disciples Foundation.

It is my pleasure to announce that the Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF)
will soon begin our Fall Human Rights Film Series. The series will present
important documentary films dealing with issues of human rights and social
justice.

These films will be presented to the public, free of charge, on Thursday
evenings in October at the Illinois Disciples Foundation. In addition, the
films will be presented by local activists and community members who will
moderate discussions about the issues presented in the films with the people
who come to the viewings.

IDF is very excited about this event, which has grown in popularity since
we began the series in 2003. In that time the series has expanded from an
annual event to now a semi-annual event. We intend to enrich the event
further this year, by linking individual films to additional events or
discussions which will expand on the issues in the films, or to provide
accompanying actions, moving people from education to becoming active on
organizing for social justice. We hope that you will join the IDF in
supporting this wonderful event for the community, organize your members
and supporters to participate and help to spread the word in the
community.

Also, in order to more easily present these wonderful, thought-provoking
films to the community, the Illinois Disciples Foundation has recently
purchased it's own video projector and high-quality screen. We believe
this is an important investment for us and the community, but this has
required a large cash outlay on our part. Whatever donations you could
make in addition to your co-sponsorship would go a long way to help us
defray our costs. We hope you realize that this is not just a great
resource for us, but for all of us working for peace and social justice in
this community, and we hope in the future you can suggest films for us to
show with this great new resource. Whatever monetary support you could
give would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to this message by **Thursday, September 28th at noon** if
your organization would like to lend its name in co-sponsorship to the IDF's
Fifth Human Rights Film Series.  Although a monetary donation is not
required for co-sponsorship, we at IDF appreciate any support that you are
willing to give. Please send your responses to tayabji at shout.net or call the
IDF office at 352-8721. Feel free to contact me for more information about
the film series.

In Solidarity,
Jen Tayabji
IDF Executive Director and Campus Minister

*******************************

IDF Annual Human Rights Film Series
Fall 2006

7-9pm
First Floor, IDF**

Free Admission and Snacks

*******************************

It's time again for our annual Human Rights Film Series! The Human Rights
Film Series is an opportunity for campus and community members to come
together to view and discuss films pertinent to those issues that face us
all. Following each film, there will be a discussion facilitated by a
local campus or community member who has expertise on the topic of the
documentary. The films will be shown using IDF’s newly purchased projector
and large screen. Light snacks and refreshments will be available!

This spring, we have organized an exciting film series that not only
highlights those issues relevant to CU residents, but those to which many
local residents have committed their own life and work. See below for more
information on the film being shown this spring!

------

BONHOEFFER

Thursday, October 5 @ 7pm

BONHOEFFER is a documentary that tells the dramatic story of Dietrich
Bonhoeffer, the young German theologian who offered one of the first clear
voices of resistance to Adolf Hitler. Bonhoeffer openly challenged his
church to stand with the Jews in their time of need, and eventually joined
his family in the plots to kill Hitler. His books, like Letters and Papers
from Prison, were written during the struggle and are considered classics
in the world of religion and ethics.

Rev. James Holiman, campus minister emeritus of IDF, will facilitate the
discussion afterwards.

For more information: http://www.bonhoeffer.com

------

IRAQ FOR SALE: THE WAR PROFITEERS

Thursday, October 12 @ 7pm

IRAQ FOR SALE: THE WAR PROFITEERS is the story of what happens to everyday
Americans when corporations go to war. Acclaimed director Robert Greenwald
takes you inside the lives of soldiers, truck drivers, widows and children
who have been changed forever as a result of profiteering in the
reconstruction of Iraq. Iraq for Sale uncovers the connections between
private corporations making a killing in Iraq and the decision makers who
allow them to do so.

Robert Naiman, the national coordinator of Just Foreign Policy and a Board
member at IDF, will facilitate the discussion afterwards.

For more information: http://iraqforsale.org

------

GHOSTS OF RWANDA

Thursday, October 19 at 7pm

Rwanda was supposed to be easy. Ten years ago, when the United Nations
sent peacekeepers to this small, Central African nation -- with the full
support of the U.S. government -- most of the policy-makers involved
believed it would be a straightforward mission that would help restore the
U.N.'s battered reputation after failures in Bosnia and Somalia. Few could
imagine that, a decade later, Rwanda would be the crisis that still haunts
their souls. GHOSTS OF RWANDA, a special two-hour documentary to mark the
10th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide -- a state-sponsored massacre in
which some 800,000 Rwandans were methodically hunted down and murdered by
Hutu extremists as the U.S. and international community refused to
intervene -- examines the social, political, and diplomatic failures that
converged to enable the genocide to occur.

Facilitator TBA.

For more information: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ghosts/

------

SIR! NO SIR!

Thursday, October 26 @ 7pm

SIR! NO SIR! energetically reveals the untold story of the GI movement to
end the war in Vietnam. This is the story of one of the most vibrant and
widespread upheavals of the 1960s -- one that had a profound impact on
American society, yet has been virtually obliterated from the collective
memory of that time. This hidden history combines fast-paced archival
footage with thoughtful interviews, "perfectly timed with new doubts about
the Iraq War."

Facilitator TBA.

For more information: http://www.sirnosir.com

------

The Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF) is a pioneering peace with justice
campus ministry and non-profit organization located on the University of
Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. For more information about the film
series or the IDF, please contact us at (217) 352-8721,
idf at prairienet.org, or visit our website at http://www.prairienet.org/idf.

**The IDF is located at the NW corner of Springfield and Wright streets in
Champaign. It is only 2 blocks from the U of I Quad and on several CU-MTD
bus routes. Limited free parking is available. The film series is
wheelchair accessible.

--
Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF)
610 E. Springfield Ave.