[Peace-discuss] N-G Disinformation continues *an island of reason in a sea of insanity*

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 09:24:55 CDT 2006

Disgusting.

Here's my response, which I sent in a bit late, but
hopefully not too late:

Dear Editor:

Mr. Foreman’s narrow-minded column (Sept. 17)
studiously misrepresents life-and-death issues.

First, Mr. Foreman claims, a la “Casablanca”, that
“the customary suspects” (opponents of the war) are
somehow “demonizing all Americans who volunteer to
wear the nation’s uniform
”.  Nevermind the fact that
72 percent of US soldiers in Iraq themselves oppose
the war.

Nevermind the fact that many of those “customary
suspects,” whose flags are apparently not big enough,
are themselves combat veterans, like the World War II
veteran Mr. Foreman defames.

That veteran did not write, as Mr. Foreman
disingenuously claims, that “he only respected members
of the military who served in the good wars.”  What
the veteran Navy rescue swimmer wrote – in the context
of chastizing a military recruiter who was
disrespectful to an anti-war critic – was that he
“loves his country always, but his government (and
fellow military) only when they deserve it”.  Mr.
Foreman perhaps favors the knee-jerk approach.

But perhaps worst of all, what is it that Mr.
Foreman’s rambling column describes as “demonizing”
every soldier?  A man appeared in uniform at a school,
which Foreman pretends not to understand is
recruiting, and someone called him on it.  Someone had
the audacity to point out that when you join the
military you may be ordered to kill innocent people,
overthrow governments, and risk death yourself – and
that if you do recruiting for the military, you are
recruiting for that kind of war, however pure your own
motives.

Patriotism, Mr. Foreman, what about truth?

Sincerely,
Ricky Baldwin
801 E California Ave
Urbana IL 61801