[Peace-discuss] if we'd like to discuss Sudan at a meeting...

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 12:56:33 CDT 2006

I got this from the student group here on campus
pushing the Darfur issue.  I said, I think correctly,
that folks in AWARE would like their schedule of
upcoming events and asked exactly what they are asking
for as a group.  I explained that we are having a
debate about US involvement and how it could be used
by a devious administration.

So what do we think about inviting someone from this
group?

Ricky

[...]
Our next event coming up is Darfur Fast, on October 5,
in
which we are asking students to give up a luxury item
for a day and
donate the money to refugee camps in Darfur.

I can understand where bad feelings arise in this
issue, as Sudan does
have oil, and US foreign policy is often corrupt in
nature.  The
student movement, as well as our partner, Genocide
Intervention Network, is
pushing to financially aid the African Union troops
there, and replace
these forces with UN troops, to protect civilians that
are being
brutally displaced, killed, raped and tortured.  This
number is well over
400,000 and close to 3 million people have been
displaced.  We are not
looking to send US troops, nor are we in any way
supporting an invasion of
Sudan.  We are pushing for peace keeping forces to end
the genocide
that has been going on, officially speaking, for over
two years.

We would be more than willing to present out goals and
past experiences
to your organization.  We understand people have a
wide range of
opinions, yet our goal is to unite all people in
bringing awareness and
fighting for human rights.  Genocide is not a partisan
issue, and our goals
call only for peace.

[...]