[Peace-discuss] Re: [CPRB] Police Pepper Spray & Injure Youth walking home from B-Ball

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 11:36:20 CDT 2007

Absolutely -

The cops need to be taken down a notch after this.
Call them -- and the papers -- on this disinformation.

I'm writing a letter to the editor - I hope others
will, too.  Are we planning further action?

Ricky

p.s.  fyi

Florida governor wins voting rights for ex-felons

By Michael Peltier April 5, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Reuters)- Florida officials on
Thursday voted to end the practice of stripping
ex-criminal offenders of their civil rights, including
the right to vote.

Florida is one of just three U.S. states, all in the
Deep South, that have maintained long-standing
constitutional barriers to restoring civil rights to
those that have committed serious crimes, rights
groups say.

Meeting in a special session, the Florida Clemency
Board agreed by a 3-1 vote to allow some 950,000
ex-felons to automatically have their civil rights
restored, removing a barrier that goes back 140 years.
The changed rules still require the state's most
serious offenders -- murderers and sexual offenders --
to undergo a formal review by the four-member panel
led by Republican Gov. Charlie Crist.

"We must provide a system to allow these people to
become productive members of society," said Crist,
invoking Passover and the Easter holidays as a time of
forgiveness.
The vote pitted Crist against Attorney General Bill
McCollum, also a Republican and the sole dissenter in
the ruling, and is just one of a raft of ways in which
Crist is distinguishing himself from his predecessor
as governor, Jeb Bush, the president's younger
brother.

McCollum chided his Republican colleague for
submitting a proposal that does away with a mandatory
five-year waiting period before ex-offenders can apply
for the restoration of their rights. In addition to
voting, the rights include sitting on a jury, owning
guns, holding public office and applying for some
professional trade licenses.

"It is a very grave mistake to do that," McCollum
said.

IF this news is printed in the N-G at all - a big IF -
we might look for a note that Illinois and other
states do still have significant restrictions on the
civil rights of ex-felons (as we know: running for
office, receiving Township aide - at least for SOME,
etc.) ...

But I won't hold my breath.

Take care-
Ricky