[Peace-discuss] covert political positions

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 10 12:43:47 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu>
To: "Chas. 'Mark' Bee" <c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu>;
<peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] covert political positions

> Clinton showed the way by his devastation of Iraq, along with his
> airstrikes on Iraq and Afghanistan.  The account by Bush's first treasury
> secretary describes how that administration came to power determined to
> attack Iraq, even before 9-11.

  No connection shown there - that was a PNAC priority.  As anyone knows,
correlation does not imply causation.

> As to the Clinton administration's motive for attacking Serbia, look at
> the map.  Both Serbia and Somalia are on the approaches to the Middle
> East, which is what the US really cares about.  As a result of Clinton's
> attacks, the US now has a military base with a seven-mile perimeter in the
> middle of Kosovo.

  Which proves nothing at all.

> Furthermore, the former Yugoslavia and its successor state Serbia
> presented "the threat of a good example" (as Vietnam did in the '60s) --
> an alternative model of development not coordinated with American control
> of the world-wide economy.

  Nice story.

> As for the "humanitarian" motives for Clinton's attacks, we have the
> answer from the horse's mouth, as it were.  One of the kept intellectuals
> of the Clinton administration, Strobe Talbott was Deputy Secretary of
> State from 1993 until 2001 and a long-time "Friend of Bill."  He was the
> lead American negotiator and director of a joint National Security
> Council-Pentagon-State Department task force on diplomacy during the
> bombing.  He's now the head of the Brookings think-tank.  In a "Foreword"
> to a book by his communications director, John Norris, "Collision Course:
> NATO, Russia, and Kosovo" (2005), he confirms that the books tells "how
> events looked and felt at the time to those of us who were involved” in
> the war in Kosovo.
>
> Here's what Norris says: "The gravitational pull [sic] of the community of
> western democracies highlights why Milosevic's Yugoslavia had become such
> an anachronism. As nations throughout the region sought to reform their
> economies, mitigate ethnic tensions,

Umm...  =)

 and broaden civil society, Belgrade seemed to delight in continually moving
in the opposite direction. It is small wonder NATO and Yugoslavia ended up
on a collision course. It was Yugoslavia's resistance to the broader trends
of political and economic reform -- *not the plight of the Kosovar
Albanians* -- that best explains NATO's war" (p. xxiif.).

  One guy's opinion.

> The excuse that Clinton offered for bombing Serbia in his March 1999
> speech was simply false: the real reason for the US/NATO attack was not
> the people of Kosovo, who were supposedly suffering a "genocide."  (For a
> version of that speech, see <http://www.zmag.org/satire.htm>.) Instead, it
> was the refusal of Serbia to subordinate itself to the neoliberal social
> and economic programs by which the US and the EU were incorporating
> Eastern Europe.

  I see we are back to the blather.

> Remember that to secure Soviet approval of a united Germany's remaining in
> NATO, the Bush-1 administration  promised that NATO would never expand
> further east. Clinton violated that agreement and arranged for Hungary,
> the Czech Republic and Poland to join NATO, then used NATO for the
> reduction of Serbia, after which the Bush-2 administration continued to
> expand NATO to the Russian border.  --CGE

  Relevance needed here.

> Chas. 'Mark' Bee wrote:
>
>>  I'm looking for proof that Clinton "showed the way" for
>> Bush, and that Serbia wasn't undertaken on humanitarian
>> grounds...

  I can see why you snipped the rest.  You failed utterly.