[Peace-discuss] News from Champaign?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 11 00:37:07 CDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 05:13:09PM -0700, Ricky Baldwin wrote:
> I realize that the meeting's just starting, but I
> can't wait until it's over to ask ...
>
> So?
>
> Ricky
>
> p.s. As usual there was spirited debate in Urbana
> concerning the order of the three peace and justice
> referenda and over the best adjectives to make them as
> strong as possible.  All votes were, I believe, all
> (no nothings).

All 3 measures passed overwhelmingly.  Both AWARE measures
had about two against (Mayor Schweighart and Ken Pirok);
the poverty question had a small handful against.  All
had 30-odd electors, and several spirited speakers, in favor.

I wish we *could* have argued over language or priority
or something.  Too little opposition gets unnerving.

Much much more controversial than any of the above was
the question of the time of next year's meeting.
7:00pm?  6:55?  6:00?  Concurrent with a City Council
study session or not?  We finally settled on 6:55pm,
which should (we hope) mean that next year's Township
annual meeting will precede any City Council meeting
scheduled for the same day -- unlike this year, when the
7pm Twp meeting actually started around 8:30, following
long and unresolved City Council arguments over
regulation of snow shoveling.

   Stuart