[Peace-discuss] Today's Letters to N-G = Radical Cult blindly follows research of Carl Estabrook!

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 09:36:04 CDT 2007

Bob, I also appreciate your tireless efforts, and I do appreciate the idea that the tone of rhetoric is important, that it be consistent with our goals of peace and justice. I thank Carl for describing in clinical terms what I expressed in a more vernacular sense, although with some sense that what is most central does not get talked about, but displaced, and is being displaced on AWARE, not to mention Annette Williams.  I would even admit to being neurotic myself by focusing on the peculiar relationship between Jews and the antiwar movement, rather than more fundamental issues of class and racial domination, including those that manifest themselves on a daily basis in our community.

  But let's not kid ourselves by denying that a significant number of Jews in our community who would call themselves liberal simply take for granted that AWARE is anti-Semitic. That's the connotation for AWARE at Sinai Temple and Jewish Federation. It might be good if this were confronted more openly.

  At the AWARE-sponsored panel in October, which I watched on television, Fred Jaher said that he opposed the invasion of Iraq from the start, but that Israel should have invaded Lebanon more aggressively than it did. What's being denied is the nature of U.S. hegemony in the Middle East, which he basically supports, and which makes his opposition to the Iraq invasion meaningless--I suspect he preferred to defame the antiwar movement for anti-Semitism rather than actively support it, whatever his tactical objections. I think that also characterizes the nature of the belated criticism of mainstream Jewish organizations, such as the Reformed Movement, of the invasion of Iraq. Indeed, they still claim that removing Hussein was correct, but that the occupation has been mishandled. At the same forum, Michael Shaprio described our invasion of Iraq as a "blunder," the most annoying and disingenuous word in the liberal lexicon. Again, this serves to deny the nature of U.S. policies,
 and to avoid drawing a connection between U.S. and Israeli polcies.

  The implied notion of some essential Jewish innocence or goodness, and the concurrent evil of anti-Semitism, is being used to avoid confronting the nature of American foreign policy.

  David

Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com> wrote:
  Let me say what I should have said earlier: that there is no limit to
my appreciation of David's tireless defense of Palestinian rights.

Still, I think that publicly ascribing mental illness to one's
political opponents as an explanation of their stated political views
is neither ethical nor in the interests of justice.

It is unethical because it is dehumanizing.

It is not in the interests of justice because, if there is to be any
significant change in U.S. policy towards the Palestinians in the
direction of justice as a result of domestic pressure, many more
people have to be involved in the discussion than have been involved
in the discussion in the past. In my experience, a significant barrier
to the involvement of more people in the discussion is the credible
belief that entrants to the discussion will be subjected to vicious
personal attacks. Overwhelmingly, the responsibility for this
situation belongs to so-called "supporters of Israel," for many of
whom it appears to be a deliberate strategy to silence debate. But
that is no reason to add to the problem.