[Peace-discuss] Thanks to Andy!

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Thu Apr 12 15:04:18 CDT 2007

Host of 'Anarchy Radio' to speak about growth of society

Zerzan, 'anti-civilizationalist', looks forward to discussing
controversial topic with students

By: Jim Vorel

  Radical speaker John Zerzan will visit the south rec room of Allen
Hall, 1005 W. Gregory Drive, this Monday night at 7 p.m. Zerzan, host
of "Anarchy Radio", KWVA 88.1 FM, is a well-known figure among the
community of "anti-civilizationalists." Since 2000, Zerzan has hosted
the weekly Oregon-based radio show devoted to his and other views on
the problems facing a continually structured society. He will give a
free presentation in Allen Hall entitled "Green Anarchy", which is also
the title of the online journal he edits: "an anti-civilization journal
of theory and action."

  "I've never been in the Champaign-Urbana area, but I think that
students there will be particularly receptive to this message," Zerzan
said. "All the college speeches I've given have been wonderful
exchanges. Students in college have more time to think about things,
which is why you're in college I guess!"

  Zerzan's beliefs center on the conception of prehistory before the
rise of organized civilization.

  "Interest in non-civilization living is increasing," said Zerzan. "I
think that's because reality is knocking on the door so insistently.
Things are getting threatening, eco-cide, global warming, extinction of
species, and pollution is everywhere. It's an assault on nature. I
think students and young people are aware of this and want to talk
about it."

  Andy Lewis is one such young person. A live-in assistant at the St.
Jude Catholic Worker House in Champaign, the 27 year old Lewis helped
to bring Zerzan to the University.

  "I've been a listener of his radio show for some time now," Lewis
said. "I heard that he was hoping to be able to do a college tour in
the Midwest, so I got in touch with the University to see if we could
get him to speak here."

  Lewis believes that Zerzan brings a very important message to people
who may not be familiar with his ideas.

  "I think that right now, he's the only one looking at the roots of the
problems of technology and civilization," Lewis said. "Civilization may
be viewed as just a deterministic process; he believes in a more
holistic approach, not necessarily believing in the natural ascension
of a structured civilization."

  Zerzan's approach is bold, calling into question assumptions about the
natural growth of a society that have the human race's entire history
of existence as evidence.

  "I think he might be a somewhat controversial speaker, but we're not
afraid of having controversial speakers," said Laura Haber, the Program
Coordinator for Allen Hall's Unit One, the organization that is
sponsoring Zerzan's presentation. "We actively try to seek out a
variety of different types of speakers. As long as (Zerzan's speech)
promotes dialogue and discussion and gets students thinking and asking
questions, then we are very happy to have him speaking here."

  Zerzan himself tries to fight misconceptions about anarchists and
primitivists in his speeches.

  "I think the transition towards a world without civilization has to be
phased, and not just done in one burst," he said. "Anarchists and
primitivists don't want a bunch of people to die, a mass die-off, to
break from industrial society and machines, despite what critics may
say. "

  Nobody I know advocates that this would be an over-night thing, but it
would be as fast as possible. I think we may be running out of time,"
he added.

  Zerzan also defends the accusations of hypocrisy that most
anti-civilizationists have to deal with for using technology to promote
their message.

  "Yes, we are called hypocritical, et cetera, for using technology
while critiquing it so heavily," he said. "I think it's an unavoidable
contradiction. If I didn't use it, my travel and radio show would be
pretty impossible.

  We just strive to be transparent about this bind and continue to
attack that which we are really forced to use if we wish to make a
public contribution."
  © Copyright 2007 The Daily Illini