[Peace-discuss] "Thank you, Don Imus."

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:21:01 CDT 2007

At 02:41 PM 4/12/2007, Ricky Baldwin wrote:

>This seems to be part of a long thread of moralistic
>nonsense that started (to my knowledge) with the
>social linguists depicted in "My Fair Lady" and
>recently championed by Bill Cosby - and possibly some
>local leaders...
>
>How can anybody who has been paying attention believe,
>for example, that the biggest threat to black
>communities is, as Cosby seemed to say, bad English
>and baggy trousers?  In a sense this is just about the
>oldest story in the book, the one that starts off,
>"Kids today..."

Egad, Ricky.  You think all rap culture is is bad English and baggy
trousers?  Really?

>Or that, as I think we read in the News-Gazette
>recently, the real problem when black kids and cops
>meet is that the kids' *parents* haven't taught them
>the proper respect for authority?  Or that hiphop
>teaches them the opposite (like demon rock-n-roll
>before, or jazz before that, etc.).

SOME hip-hop doesn't teach them the proper respect for THEMSELVES, which is
what Jason Whitlock is saying.

>The problem is too often the authorities don't *earn*
>respect.

This is ALSO true.

>  Just the opposite.  Why would a person who
>has committed no crime flee the cops - at night?
>Probably knows somebody who got beat up by cops.
>Maybe just for acting nervous in the face of his/her
>fears, or just for being scared/upset/angry.  Is that
>a crime now?
>
>I feel a rant coming on, so I'll just close with this:
>Is this guy really saying that crime, unemployment,
>poverty, and related turmoil in black communities
>today is due to *music*?

He's saying that SOME hip-hop and the gangsta culture, and the self-images
created and perpetuated by such, are a large part of the problem.  They
simultaneously reflect the problem and exacerbate it.

>I won't run through the socioeconomic alternative to
>this nonsense, except to point out that the latest
>federal slavery conviction in Florida (a series of six
>initiated by the Coalition of Immokalee Workers)
>involved a grower there enslaving African American
>*citizens* recruited from a homeless shelter with the
>promise of good jobs and good pay, then sold for
>$3000-4000 each to work in the fields - and paid at
>the end of each week in tobacco, alcohol and crack
>cocaine.
>
>Think they took the jobs because of hiphop?

Nope.  It's more complex than that, of course.  Just don't throw the baby
out with the bath water.

John Wason