[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Public i article

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 14 17:20:39 CDT 2007

I received a call today from Belden Fields, on behalf of the Public i.
(I'm told that Belden funds much of the Public i out of his pocket,
although I don't know if that's so.)  He told that me the Public i would
publish my article if and only if I would state in writing that I would
*not* "sue for damages an editor who violates the clear conditions under
which I submitted the piece."

Belden explained that they wanted such a statement because they were "so
often close to the line" -- because apparently they were afraid of being
sued over their reporting on local, particularly police, issues.

That made (and makes) no sense to me.  The matters seem in no way
connected.  As far as I can tell, they simply wanted me to withdraw in
writing the conditions under which I submitted the piece -- or at least
my right to insist on those conditions.  They would then be free to
alter the comment on the Clinton administration to which Bob Illyes
objected.

Naturally I refused.  The Public i should declare its politics openly,
instead of defending them tacitly by making way for tendentious editing.

--CGE