[Peace-discuss] what about jury nullification?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 16 15:36:53 CDT 2007

Q.: Can you follow the law, even if you disagree with it?

A.: Sometimes yes, sometimes, no: it would depend on the specifics.  For
example, I don't think the law should limit the amount of money that can
be contributed to a political candidate, but since the community has
decided to impose such limits, I could vote to convict someone who
violated them.  But on the other hand, I could not in good conscience
have voted to convict someone who violated a Fugitive Slave Law, when
such laws were on the books. --CGE