[Peace-discuss] More on election

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 10:54:33 CDT 2007

It is also backlash because of the perceived Urbana
influence on Champaign politics.  I grew up in
Champaign and there has always been a war between the
two cities.  It is insane.  The progressives in
Champaign need to stand up and be a force on their
own.  I appreciate all the Urbana people who come to
city council meetings and such, but I don't think it
helps for you to speak up if there are Champaign
residents who will do the speaking.  People in
Champaign will not listen to you, just because you are
one of "them".  I know it isn't right, but we have to
get more politically savvy.  Things run differently in
Champaign.  We can't use the same tactics.  We also
need to be careful about throwing the AWARE name
around.  There are a lot of people who came to the
last city council meeting who do not come to AWARE
meetings...AWARE is perceived as a splitter group
and/or "cult" (run by Carl Estabrook no less...when
will they blame some of the women in the group for
thinking for all the rest?).  We need to get organized
in Champaign, we need to get smart, and we need to
look NOW for someone to run against the mayor.

I'm sure everyone saw this article and pay attention
to Bruno and Deb F-F's comments:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2007/04/18/voting_trend_conservative_for_champaign_city_council

Annette did very well for being an unknown.  I
personally think using your religion would help you in
future runs for office.  I don't mean for this to
sound crass, but we need to start strategizing and
playing the cards which work.

Linda (who is sooo glad she couldn't find a house in
Urbana now...Champaign needs the votes!  I am equally
glad that my brother doesn't live in the city limits
and didn't vote yesterday because he is the exact
opposite politically from Karen/me.)

--- Brian Dolinar <briandolinar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't confuse this for what it is:
> White backlash to smoking ban/chief/consent decree.
>
> BD
>
> On 4/18/07, Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Yup, Karen, everything is my fault. As a
> recovering German Protestant,
> > this has never been less than obvious to me.
> >
> > On a more serious note, this election was decided
> by the ability
> > of the parties and other organizations to get out
> the vote. Annette
> > in particular worked her tail off, but somehow the
> rest of us let
> > her down. This is a hard problem, with the media
> largely under the
> > control of the right. But it is not a problem we
> can't solve.
> > Democracy requires a lot of patience,
> unfortunately.
> >
> > Bob