[Peace-discuss] Mother's Day "peace wants a piece of the pie" National Action Day

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 20 11:02:57 CDT 2007

>Kurt Vonnegut [...] had once told a group [...] that their protests were about as effective as banana cream pies.

[It was a group of artists that he told this to. I don't know if that is significant or what he meant by his allusion to pies. He was a strong critic of the Iraq war, and a victim of war himself. -karen medina]

"Vonnegut's mother killed herself when he was a young man leaving to serve in World War II. As a private in that war, he was captured by the Germans and imprisoned in a former slaughterhouse in the ancient German city of Dresden.
[...]
"It took him 25 years to turn that experience into Slaughterhouse-Five.

"'You can't remember pure nonsense,' Vonnegut said. 'It was pure nonsense, the pointless destruction of that city, and, well, I just couldn't get it right. ... I kept writing crap, as they say.'"
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9554280