[Peace-discuss] Why do people believe in Congress?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:09:19 CDT 2007

Congress exists whether you pay attention to it or not. It will not stop
existing because you ignore it.

Congress acts, and its actions have consequences, whether you pay attention
or not, and whether you contribute to efforts to affect these actions, or
leave others to carry on without you.

It may be tempting to seek solace by ignoring Congress. One may then find
relief from disappointment. But this sense of well-being is like that
enjoyed by the person with frostbite who feels warm, as the body reduces
blood flow to the extremities. You feel warm. You stop moving, because
moving is painful - it restores circulation and sensation to your painful
extremities. So you stop moving, and feel better. Then you die. At last, you
are at peace.