[Peace-discuss] Why do people believe in Congress?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 05:21:58 CDT 2007

At 01:09 PM 4/20/2007, Robert Naiman wrote:

>Congress exists whether you pay attention to it or not. It will not stop
>existing because you ignore it.
>
>Congress acts, and its actions have consequences, whether you pay
>attention or not, and whether you contribute to efforts to affect these
>actions, or leave others to carry on without you.
>
>It may be tempting to seek solace by ignoring Congress. One may then find
>relief from disappointment. But this sense of well-being is like that
>enjoyed by the person with frostbite who feels warm, as the body reduces
>blood flow to the extremities. You feel warm. You stop moving, because
>moving is painful - it restores circulation and sensation to your painful
>extremities. So you stop moving, and feel better. Then you die. At last,
>you are at peace.

Well said. Robert; an interesting and apt metaphor.

I often quote Randall Robinson, who has far more intellectual and political
capital than I do.  His experience after something like 40 years of public
policy advocacy is this:

Excerpt from Defending the Spirit: A Black Life in America by Randall
Robinson, 1998

             ...Which brings us to the sine qua non for effective
outside-the-Policy-House advocacy: a gift for self-promotion, a gift used
or, more appropriately, misused to its fullest by those self-seeking souls
unburdened by any restraint of shame.  This is not to disparage
self-promotion, especially when it is an inadvertent by-product of a public
effort to alter wrongheaded public policy.  We have seat belts in our cars,
and consumer safety standards generally, because of the public advocacy of
Ralph Nader, whose formidable public stature has carried in its trail a
salutary and major public policy influence.
             My academic friends and the foundations that fund their
painstaking research appear to understand none of this.  For forty years of
apartheid, the tenured opponents of that system won grants, did research,
wrote monographs and books, gave testimony ad nauseam before Congress.  All
to no effect.  American policy toward South Africa had been and remained
one of de facto public and private embrace.  Few if any members of Congress
felt compelled to read or listen to anything the academic community had to
say.  Only when a campaign of massive civil disobedience was packaged for
public participation in late 1984 did American policy begin to turn around.
             This is not the preferred way to make or influence foreign
policy.  But in America, if you are outside the Policy House, a position to
which virtually all blacks have been relegated, it is the only way to have
impact.  We have won most of the battles in which I have fought.  But the
price has been dear and I am tired and diminished by the process.  In all
the years of meeting with presidents, secretaries of state, national
security advisors, U.S. trade representatives, and members of Congress, I
cannot recall a single change of policy course that resulted from any of
the hundreds of discussions, the thousands of letters, the scores of
presentations to perfunctory nods and courteous closings.  Like water off a
duck's back.  It never ever meant a damn thing...

Pages 244-45