[Peace-discuss] Chomsky

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 15:17:18 CDT 2007

I have no desire to get into one of your interminable email exchanges where you fight for the last word, so this will be my last comment on the subject.

  First nobody knows, not even, much to your regret, I’m sure, what is in Chomsky’s mind. That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that Chomsky not only knows, but is convinced that 9-11 was the work of Cheney, Rumsfeld, the smarter Bushes, and others in our government plus those outside our government who pull its strings. (It might even be the work of Chomsky himself - how's that for cospiracy theory?)

  Further, like a whole lot of people in academia, there is no doubt in my mind that a great majority of Chomsky’s work is funded by the defense department. And even further, it has been suggested, and I have no doubt that Chomsky benefits from funding by the CIA, if fact, I think we can take that as a given. I have no great belief that he is actually a CIA mole, but if that were proven, I would certainly not die of disbelief.

  In any event, like most of us, he is not going to bite the hand that feeds him. And since he seems to be on a very long leash, he says many things that are admirable and insightful, although generally solution-less. In this mode he serves any administration well as a shining example of academic freedom and the government’s charitable attitude toward dissidents. If he actually is CIA, he may be one of their best assets, if he is not, I’m sure they love him anyway – just for his attitude on 9-11, and lack of teeth in general, if for nothing else.

  In Towers of Deception Barrie Zwicker devotes Chapter Five to “The Shame of Noam Chomsky and the Gatekeepers of the Left,” but you would call that conspiracy theory. I’m sorry the following graphic does not show up better, but it illustrates how the money flows from various foundations to the voices of the left. Again, a simple case of not biting the hand that feeds you.

  These are my final words on this subject, and I close with the following article. I’m sure that anyone who is interested can Google up more.

          How the CIA Funds Anti-Bush Propaganda   By Bill Gertz
The Washington Times | September 14, 2004

  The CIA's Counterterrorist Center has spent more than $15 million in the past three years funding studies, reports and conferences produced by former Democratic administration officials and other critics of the Bush administration.
  The latest effort was a $300,000 grant by the CIA to the Atlantic Council for a study co-authored by Richard A. Clarke, the former counterterrorism official who wrote a best seller accusing the Bush administration of failing in the war on terrorism by invading Iraq.
  "The products of the [center] have a consistent theme: They criticize the Bush administration and provide ammunition for the Kerry campaign," said one U.S. official who has read the resulting reports and studies.

This official said the academic outreach is the Counterterrorist Center's way of "buying off" criticism of the CIA and the intelligence community by providing hundreds of thousands of dollars in contracts and conferences.

  continued at: http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=15029

  The last word, as always, is yours.

C G ESTABROOK <carl at newsfromneptune.com> wrote:
  That's certainly not the case. Chomsky has spent his life writing about
the real state of American politics, not taking "the safer and more
comfortable course." There's no evidence that he's reversed the habits
of a lifetime here. --CGE