[Peace-discuss] Police Review -- small steps

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 2 16:43:19 CDT 2007

RE: citizens police review board in Champaign

I think we would be wisest to analyze the FOP lawyer's "claims". We can start educating the public, correcting the lawyer's mistakes one-by-one.

We can do a myth correction flier.
We can set up a webpage that can be a resource for our community and others.
We can do an article for a newspaper, local or not-so-local.

Danielle C. has really done a lot of homework on CPRBs and Stan Levy is a wonderful resource.

I was completely out of hope for Champaign, but I think there is some light if we use the resources we have at this point. And, oddly enough, I think we can use the FOP lawyer to our advantage -- he created the myths that the police will tend to believe and that the middle class people might follow suit. A source of well-contained myths is a resource, if used correctly.

And, I still like the idea of inviting a police officer to spend a day in the home of a resident in a high crime neighborhood. (thanks go to Robert D. for sparking this idea). Public servant education rocks!

There is hope!
-karen medina