[Peace-discuss] THURSDAY/FRIDAY: SF to DC student "March for Peace" passing through CU

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 13:36:34 CDT 2007

Well, as with the recent call I got from Senator Durbin's office requesting a
discussion between the Senator and AWARE, I've once again been contacted by
someone trying to reach AWARE (since I was so involved with AWARE in the past
and my name is still out there in the ether in that context). And I'm happy to
relay that the "March for Peace" is coming through Champaign Urbana.

The "March for Peace" is exactly as it says. It began on May 21, 2007 in San
Francisco and plans to arrive in Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2007. It's an
intrepid group of about a half-dozen students who are wending their way from one
end of the nation to the other, asking for folks to join their march along the
way and serving as focal points for anti-war demonstrations and other events
wherever they visit.

Details at www.marchforpeace.info

They'll pass through Bloomington, Leroy, Mansfield tentatively arriving in C-U
on Thursday, leaving Friday.

I was contacted by Ashley (845-264-3912). Another contact is Peter
(415-686-1096). Although I'm not in any position to organize support (and a
hearty welcome) for them, I hope and trust that AWARE as a group will do so.

Ashley had contact info for Pamela Rochford and I encouraged her to call Pamela
as well.

Ashley did not mention anything about how their group deals with accommodations,
so I asked her at the end of our conversation and she said they have camping
gear, but that they do take offers of accommodation from local activists. I'm
confident AWARE folks will be generous in this regard (as has been our
longstanding tradition of supporting other activists as they pass through town).

I hope AWARE can organize a big contingent to march with them and hold a
demonstration event with them Thursday or Friday.