[Peace-discuss] ride-alongs

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 19:07:30 CDT 2007

At 11:46 AM 8/3/2007, Bob Illyes wrote:

>I'm not sure ride-alongs tell one much. One would expect good behavior
>with a witness. If the purpose were, on the other hand, to find out what
>the police have to put up with, I'm sure it would be informative.
>
>Bob

Anyone with an IQ higher than that of, say, Jerry Schweighart would quickly
recognize that a police officer (like anyone else) would be on his/her very
best behavior with a civilian witness (and no cop witnesses) present.  But
yes....you'd see some pretty crazy and belligerent citizens engaging in
some very strange and socially irresponsible behavior.  Probably nothing
you can't see, though, on the TV show "Cops".

None of this is the real issue, though.  No one has ever once questioned
that the police have a difficult job to do, which tries their patience and
their nerves.  Which is why they'd be exonerated the vast majority of the
time by the CPRB, under normal circumstances.  What the CPRB MIGHT catch
would be instances of cops raping women, using deadly force a
disproportionate amount of time, engaging in racial profiling to an
excessive degree, being generally rude and surly and bullying, etc.  And as
has been pointed out elsewhere, a properly constituted CPRB would serve
also to further (and in a transparent manner) protect the police from
unwarranted criticism or allegations.

But why am I writing all of this?  Everyone on this list, with one or two
unfortunate exceptions, already knows and understands all this stuff.

John Wason