[Peace-discuss] CPRB -- offer the Champaign City Council what they ask for?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 21:38:51 CDT 2007

Great idea!!! It would surely help some of those voting "no" to understand why Champaign needs a CPRB... Certainly complainants should remain anonymous if they wish -- workers and customers aren't expected to sign their names when they put notes into a suggestion box!!!

  Is there a reason the police officers' names should not be included, along w/ time, date, and location? It appears that these are included in the many complaints that at least one City Council member already receives -- she held up a batch during the July 31st meeting.  So shouldn't ALL the City Council members receive copies of these -- including officers' names -- as well? I'm sure they'd respect the officers' privacy and consider them innocent until proven otherwise.

  Commendations with the above information -- including officers' names -- would also be very much in order.

  Jenifer

Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
  [sending this to peace-discuss as well as announce -- sorry if you get this twice]

As Aaron Ammons mentioned this morning on WEFT,
at least two of the Champaign City Council members who voted against
any CPRB discussion did that because (they say) they think the Council
itself should be the body overseeing the police department.

They might well also believe the Fraternal Order of Police lawyer
that there are only a couple dozen complaints per year against
Champaign police, and his insinuation that most of those are either
unfounded or insignificant.

On the other hand we also heard that there are something like 300
police complaints per year received otherwise -- by the NAACP, Urban League,
Ministerial Alliance, and I'm sure elsewhere -- to Martel, to CUCPJ, ...

So: if the Council thinks they want to oversee complaints,
can we give them to them, anonymized, without names
(neither of complainers nor officers) but with incidents intact?

I don't expect this practice to convince Tom Bruno or
Mayor Schweighart, who really just don't seem to be listening,
but it might contribute to the education of others.

Stuart Levy