[Peace-discuss] August 15th Die-in!!

Cody Bralts-Steindl codybralts at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:51:13 CDT 2007

Mitali Purkayastha, Kayla Ginsburg, Jenny Goodwine and I  have set the date
of Wednesday August 15 for a Die-In to protest the Iraq war. Our plan is to
get at least 20 young people to the intersection of Green & Wright St. to
protest with signs and chants, but it will be different from most protests:
When the light turns green for pedestrians to cross the crosswalks (all four
crossing places that surround the intersection turn at the same time- that
is why we chose this place) then we will go out into the middle of the
intersection while the cars are waiting at red lights (so they can't go
anywhere anyway) and we simultaneously fall to the ground, pretending to
die.

Die-Ins have been used as an effective form of protest before- there was one
on this campus earlier this year to bring awareness to the genocide
in Darfur. The purpose of this form of protest is to MAKE people pay
attention. It isn't going to disturb traffic or block things from happening
so it isn't super drastic but it is a protest that can not be ignored by
those driving by.

We hope that AWARE will be able to show their support. Also, if other
parents would like to volunteer their time and help us that will be greatly
appreciated.

We ask everyone to wear RED (Shirt preferably) so that everyone is color
coordinated. If you have any red shirts that you will like to share with
others that will be great. Some people passing by might want join in if
their time permits so giving them a red shirt to wear is always nice :)
It will be on *Wednesday, August 15th from 5:15 pm - 6:30 pm.*

We hope to see you there!!

Cody Bralts