[Peace-discuss] Re: Darfur Colonized by Peacekeepers?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 18:23:22 CDT 2007

Thanks for the additional background and update, Ricky. It's all helpful information re understanding a dreadful situation, w/ the US yet again backing the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

  Jenifer

Ricky Baldwin <baldwinricky at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I'll chime in on the Congo, Jenifer, if you don't
mind.

The Congo Wars (starting with the Rwandan genocide and
related violence in Uganda, Burundi and elsewhere -
Tutsis killing Hutus, Hutus killing Tutsis among
others) did kill around 5-6 million people in the
area. This puts the Congo Wars on the scale of "WW2",
but most world governments turned a blind eye. Most
citizens don't even know it happened.

The US had supported one of the worst dictators -
Mobutu Sese Seko - in the Congo for years, part of the
Cold War maneuvering. He was overthrown in the the
"First Congo War" by invading armies who then decided
to stick around. Gold, coltan, and other minerals,
some particularly valuable to hip electronics
industries, were at issue, not oil, but the principles
are about the same.

The war is officially over, and though there was an
alarming increase in violence leading up to elections
in Congo last year, war - as such - didn't break out
again. But large parts of the country (Congo is as
big as Western Europe) are still terrorized by bands
of paramilitaries and various nasty players. Women
and children are particularly at risk to the most
gruesome torture, especially in the areas around the
mines.

UN peacekeepers are there, too, but the mission may be
undermined by a number of factors, including that - as
elsewhere - some of the peacekeepers may also be
guilty of rape and other atrocities. Also, with so
much attention focussed on Sudan, Congo is still not a
big priority - in fact - though there are a lot of
people there doing great work, as far as I can tell.

I think, as with so many of the nastiest conflicts,
it's hard to know what would really make it much
better at this point. Of course, as is too often the
case, it would have helped if the US hadn't been
supporting a coldblooded mass murderer for so many
years. (Asking the opponents of such policies, as the
solve-it-with-violence folks like to do, what *we*
would suggest now, now that the *pro-violence*
policies have led to such a catastrophe, is, well,
dishonest, and we should watch out for this trap.

But I personally think, if anybody cares what I think,
that there are still some actions that could help,
without a US or NATO invasion force (which would amke
things worse, and it's unlikely at the moment anyway).
There are human rights organizations there that
could offer advice, and have, and I think it ought to
be possible to slog through some kind of diplomatic
(partial) solution.

Of course the real success (in human terms) of any
such thing would depend on the support of ordinary
people, for example, Congolese activists, human rights
NGOs, and an international solidarity network could
help a lot. A lot of Europeans and Canadian and
American liberals deciding what to do without
consulting the Congolese affected could be disastrous.

But some obvious pressure points that could be of use
could be: the mineral trade (somebody has to buy all
that stuff) and arms trade (has to come from
somewhere, though it's usually hard to track down,
especially if it's not a priority). And I'd argue the
US has an obligation there, due to its support for
Mobutu Sese Seko if nothing else, to help provide some
economic alternatives, not exactly along the lines of
the Marshall Plan, but a thoughtful version therof,
something like that.

Who knows? Fair trade computer chips?

There's a lot more to talk over, of course, but this
is already long. I'll stop for now with the
observation that there's a Quaker group focussed on
the African Great Lakes region and a new Uganda group
organized by AWARE-ista Shara Esbenshade and her
friends. Groups like this deal with various aspects
of a tangled web there in the region, all of which
seem to be interrelated.

Ricky

--- Jenifer Cartwright wrote:

> [...]

> pressure on Khartoum
> > also encouraged other rebels – this time in
> eastern Sudan – to renew
> > their war against Khartoum, further destabilising
> Africa’s largest
> > country (9).
> >
> > Peace negotiations are supposed to restart before
> the deployment of the
> > new UN force. But given that the insertion of this
> new force into Darfur
> > is the logical extension of the previous
> internationalisation of the
> > conflict, there is no reason to think that the UN
> presence will not
> > further upset the local balance of forces, as each
> belligerent
> > reorganises their strategy around the new military
> presence on the
> > ground, with rebel factions potentially goading
> the UN into military
> > action on their behalf.
> >
> > The more that African governments – or indeed
> would-be revolutionary
> > movements – cede their own authority to a
> shimmering and remote
> > international community, the more that ordinary
> Africans’ lives are
> > beholden to more distant and unaccountable powers
> in place of their own
> > governments. Under the auspices of the UN, wars
> are no longer treated as
> > political affairs, with peace founded on Africans’
> own efforts, but as
> > ‘conflict management’ activities to be
> administered by bureaucrats and
> > jet-setting international diplomats.
> >
> > Although the substance of political independence
> in Africa is
> > undoubtedly being eroded by the relentless
> expansion of peacekeeping,
> > the UN is much too ramshackle to represent
> anything like a real empire.
> > The growing intrusiveness of the international
> community represents not
> > colonialism but a new form of international
> hegemony – albeit one that
> > is no less alarming and in many ways more
> insidious. Under colonialism,
> > by annexing and conquering territories,
> imperialist powers assumed
> > direct political responsibility for their colonies
> – a system that at
> > least had the benefit of making clear who was
> oppressing whom. Today,
> > the international community preaches human rights
> instead of racial
> > supremacy, and it compromises a variety of actors:
> states,
> > state-sponsored mega-NGOs, the UN and other
> international and regional
> > organisations.
> >
> > Not only are there no clear lines of institutional
> accountability in
> > this decentralised network – there is also no
> single agent that is
> > willing to be held responsible for particular
> outcomes. This moralised
> > multilateralism lends itself to passing the buck:
> states blame the UN,
> > the UN blames states, and both blame Africans for
 In these circumstances, the

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/3697/