[Peace-discuss] Co-option continues

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 17 21:23:27 CDT 2007

	Published on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 by The Nation
	Americans Against Escalation in Iraq
	by Katrina Vanden Heuvel & Greg Kaufmann

This summer, Americans Against Escalation in Iraq - a broad coalition of
advocacy organizations and political action committees from across the
political spectrum - has launched the Iraq Summer campaign to help end
the war by making it politically toxic for Republicans to support it.

Tom Matzzie, Washington Director of MoveOn.org, is “on loan” to run
Americans Against Escalation in Iraq. The national campaign has a staff
of 100 people, a multimillion dollar budget, and a tall order as it
embarks on this effort to unify opposition to the Iraq War in advance of
the Petraeus report in September.

“The debate was set up in the spring as leading towards a September
report,” Matzzie says, “so that gave us an organizing opportunity and an
organizing momentum going into the summer. The goal is to cut the
remaining support for the president’s Iraq policy out from underneath
him. Give the Republicans a choice between helping to end the war or
facing political extinction.”

With over 80 paid organizers deployed across the country, the Iraq
Summer campaign - which organizers say is modeled after the Freedom
Summer - is focused on 40 targeted districts where Matzzie says “there
is a lot of opposition to the war but very little grassroots leadership
supporting an end to the war…. Often in these suburban and exurban
Republican districts there’s no institutional support for a campaign to
end the war…. That’s what a lot of Iraq Summer is about is building a
permanent apparatus to oppose the war policy in these targeted areas. ”

The organizers were trained at the Maritime Institute in Baltimore - a
union training facility - and then assigned to 15 states across the
country. Many organizers are veterans or their family members. Iowa
State Director Sue Dinsdale is the mother of two Marines. Michigan State
Director Tamarra Rosenleaf’s husband has been deployed to Iraq. There
are also Iraq veterans on staff in New York, Illinois, Virginia, and
Kentucky, and three full-time staff in Washington, DC including the
chief lobbyist, John Bruhns. Finally, dozens of veterans and their
family members are in the field as paid staff and volunteers.

In addition to the 40 districts where the Iraq Summer campaign has sent
staff (a fairly up to date list of targets can be found here - it’s
missing only Senator Mitch McConnell and Representative Jean Schmidt),
Americans Against Escalation in Iraq reaches another 30 House targets
through grants to local organizations such as the Connecticut Citizen
Action Group. In all of these districts the organizers, veterans and
military families, and activists are using field operations, coalition
building, paid and earned media strategies, volunteer events and cutting
edge online organizing to turn up the heat on Republican members of
Congress who are blocking a safe end to the Iraq war.

“I think since the war began, for over 4 years, we’ve done a great job
as a movement of going out there and saying, ‘We oppose the War,’”
Matzzie says. “But we haven’t always brought the responsibility back to
the politicians who are allowing it to happen. So we’re changing the
rhetoric from ‘I oppose the War’ to ‘I oppose, [for example], Senator
Coleman because of his support on the War.’ And that politicization of
the war policy helps put the fear into politicians, which is essential….
Ultimately the war ends because the politicians choose their own
survival over sticking with Bush. That can be achieved only in the
hometowns of these politicians where they count their votes.”

The impact the campaign is having is already evident in the hundreds of
videos activists are shooting (such as footage of Representative Mark
Kirk ignoring an Iraq Vet). Americans Against Escalation in Iraq gave
organizers $125 reusable video cameras - called “ The Flip” camera -
that plug into a USB port on a computer. The training of the organizers
and activists is clear as they confront war supporters in an aggressive
but normally courteous manner, and stay on message.

In addition to on-the-ground organizing, Matzzie says Americans Against
Escalation in Iraq are countering the White House spin through the use
of PR professionals. “We have for the first time a national, daily
counterpoint to the White House and the media,” he says. “We have PR
professionals across two public relations firms and on our own payroll
who are working every day to provide a counterpoint to the Bush
administration in the press.”

Iraq Summer will culminate with Take a Stand Day on August 28th. There
will be about 60 town meetings held in targeted districts (the
representatives are invited to attend - so far, no takers). In those
communities where Representatives already support an end to the war
there will be vigils to echo the message that it’s time for Congress to
take a stand - over 2,000 such vigils are planned. Matzzie says that
MoveOn, Working Assets and True Majority are among the groups that will
get the word out about Take a Stand Day nationwide.

Americans Against Escalation in Iraq doesn’t plan to close shop when
Congress reconvenes. If its fundraising success continues, it plans to
keep its staff through December, adjusting its targets as needed.

“Ultimately what we have to do is make sure that the Republicans know
we’re not going away,” Matzzie says. “We’re gonna be in their faces
until the war is over. If they still vote wrong, we’re gonna stay in
their face… And the sooner the politicians know that the sooner the war
will end…. [And] if the Democrats don’t hold Bush’s feet to the fire
this fall there will be dozens of primary challenges next spring.”

There are some in the antiwar movement who think the Iraq Summer
strategy isn’t doing enough to hold Democrats feet to the fire.
CODEPINK, for example, has occupied the offices of Democratic
legislators who voted for a timetable but failed to limit war funding to
a fully funded troop redeployment only (as opposed to Bush’s
escalation). In a recent article in The Hill, one CODEPINK activist
called MoveOn “very conservative.”

Matzzie, however, suggests that there isn’t a problem with these diverse
tactics. He notes that the partner organizations of Americans Against
Escalation in Iraq usually take on the Democrats, but this apparatus
takes on “mostly Republicans.”

“It’s gonna take a wall of opposition from the entire political spectrum
[to end this war],” Matzzie says. “We’re facing down a determined and
isolated president. We’re facing down the Republican Party, the entire
foreign policy establishment, the military-industrial complex, Arab
governments throughout the Middle East who don’t want us to leave mostly
because they don’t want to deal with the problem, a Sunni insurgency,
the Shia militias that are conducting ethnic cleansing…. There is a
mosaic of people who are working to end the war. We saw work that was
not being done, and we went to fill that vacuum. And that’s what we’re
doing. And this apparatus is there, and it’s well exercised, and at
necessary times it can turn against any target any where in the country,
regardless of their party.”

Matzzie believes that the most important thing right now is “Outside the
Beltway pressure on the politicians.”

“What’s most important now is that people know that there’s a big
showdown on the war this fall,” Matzzie says. “We need people in their
home districts to be marching and going to their town hall meetings, and
making phone calls, and talking to their neighbors…. We have a genuine
shot at bringing some troops home this fall. It might not be that we’re
able to win complete redeployment before the next president is elected
but if we can bring home 60,000 troops that’s 60,000 families who can
sleep with a little more comfort.”

It will be up to the entire mosaic - the entire “wall of opposition” -
to stay in the faces of every Republican and Democrat until every
soldier comes home.

Greg Kaufmann is a freelance writer residing in his disenfranchised
hometown of Washington, DC.

Katrina Vanden Heuvel is editor of The Nation.

Comments--

    1. seriousprofessor August 15th, 2007 2:42 pm:

       This is bizarre.

       To be against escalation of the war clearly includes being for
keeping things the same.

       To be against a politician for his support of the war, and not
against the war itself, clearly includes the mealymouthed technocratic
critiques that most Democrats rely on.

       Wars of aggression are wrong. Bombing the shit out of civilians
is wrong. This is basic. How have these pundits become so bereft of
their brains and humanity that they are incapable of saying so clearly
and directly?

       “Against escalation.” Good f-ing grief!!

    2. Greg R August 15th, 2007 2:53 pm:

       The name “Americans Against Escalation in Iraq” has such a sad
ring to it. It gives the impression that cutting down on troop numbers
equals success. As long as we have a few men and planes to bomb and
strafe, we remain in evil do-do. It appears that this is the plan of the
majority of our politicains, sad to say. I guess we have to go for baby
steps. So, ring-a-ding-ding, whoop-de-do, hurah, hurah.

    3. namvet67 August 15th, 2007 3:02 pm:

       This is all political doublespeak for, "I want to stay a player
in the game -- I don’t want to really change anything."
       Hoa binh

    4. tj August 15th, 2007 3:12 pm:

       I have to second the SeriousProf and Greg R.

       Bizarre and sad are only a couple of words that describe the mush
above.

       Even worse, these “baby step,” efforts distract from real
attempts at change like working for complete withdrawal ASAP, stopping a
new adventure against Iran, pushing for impeachment, carrying on the
fights for national health insurance and a living wage, etc.

       Maybe Rove left the White House to consult with these “Against
Escalation,” folks. He certainly couldn’t do much more destructive to
the progressive movement.

       Oh, by the way, a top US military commander announced today that
the “surge,” will begin winding down pretty soon. He implied that
basically, the military is unable to logistically sustain the new level
of violence it has created.

       Also, I worry very much that it could mean they need to re-deploy
troops for an attack on Iran.

	[...]