[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Stan Levy for Mayor of Champaign

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 02:42:33 CDT 2007

Avery and Rosales are good folks, but if they couldn't get elected/reelected to the City Council, it's highly unlikely they'd be elected mayor. (INot sure if we have anyone we'd all support 100% who's actually electable, but I do think we need to find and support someone who has what most of us want who does have a chance of being elected.)

  Yeah, pretty strong bias against gown among the town...But if there's someone from either group we can get behind --  someone who can persuade enough voters that war is bad for Champaign's economic advancement and security...that we need that $$ for schools and (especially) first responders right here in Champaign, it might resonate.

  Jenifer

Marti <tvchick at insightbb.com> wrote:
  I've been following the discussion regarding Stan Levy and I wonder if we
wouldn't do better to consider individuals like Giraldo Rosales and Patricia
Avery. Both individuals have had experience in local politics and might have
a stronger chance at obtaining office than Mr. Levy who is probably not that
well known outside of the U of I.

Any candidate who runs for office needs to have a local presence beyond the
scope of the university. Think about it...our current city council is
comprised of individuals who don't have any particularly strong ties with
the University of Illinois. Our mayor is a former police officer, Pirok is a
business consultant, Bruno and Frank-Feinan are attorneys, McIntosh and
Jackson are local residents, Foster used to run a day care center, and Dodds
biography notes that she serves on a library board, is a free-lance music
journalist, and her hubby owns commercial property on 1 main.

While Mr. Levy may have spoken well on behalf of a police review board that
does not necessarily qualify him for public office. Laurel Prussing had the
benefit of being a state representative some years before she became the
major of Urbana and had the type of political experience and savvy to make a
successful run for the office.

Just something to consider...Marti