[Peace-discuss] Recruiting news

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:46:24 CDT 2007

This seems like a thing worth knowing. Does anyone know for certain?

I found this particularly striking in the article Barbara forwarded:

"On this island with a long tradition of military service,
pro-independence advocates are tapping the territory's growing
anti-Iraq war sentiment to revitalize their cause. As a result, 57
percent of Puerto Rico's 10th-, 11th- and 12th-graders, or their
parents, have signed forms over the past year withholding contact
information from the Pentagon - effectively barring U.S. recruiters
from reaching out to an estimated 65,000 high school students."

And this:

' "We're not taking more than our share from Puerto Rico," Carr
said. "We're taking less than our share, because that's what they'll
give us." Carr said he suspects that opt-out rates for states in the
continental United States rarely break beyond 10 percent - a far cry
from the nearly 60 percent on the island.'

So, as a result of campaigning to distribute the forms, they have an
opt-out rate five times the national rate, in an area with a strong
tradition of military service...

...and it seems that this might appeal to people on "leave-me-alone"
grounds, not unlike the national do-not-call list for telemarketers,
even if they are not particularly exercised about the war...