[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 21 02:08:31 CDT 2007

Mort--

I understand what it is to be addicted to cocaine or cigarettes, but I'm
not sure what it means to "become addicted to the antiwar stance of
(some) libertarians."  OTOH, I would think that someone committed to
opposing the war (and not, say, merely looking to co-opt the majority
anti-war sentiment for a conventional political party) would be happy to
see people opposed to the war on principle, even if they happen to hold
objectionable economic views... (I, e.g., am happy to see liberal
capitalists oppose the war on principle -- and not just because it's
costing too much.)

William Blum ends some generally sensible remarks about US foreign
policy with a gratuitous (to his policy argument) swipe at
Libertarianism (but he means Ron Paul).  Blum's sloppy about his
ostensible target: he must mean that Libertarianism is "an eccentric
blend of anarchism [not 'anarchy'] and runaway capitalism."  Few
Libertarians want to see mere anarchy loosed upon the world, if only
because it would interfere with (what they think is) the splendid and
efficient workings of the free market.  But anarchism has a long and
honorable history, in descent from 18th-century Liberalism, of defending
human freedom against capitalist society, including the state-capitalism
of 20th century Marxism-Leninism.

Blum's right about "eccentric," of course, because what we've come to
call Libertarianism in America (and few other places) is off from the
center of the generally social-democratic opinions of most Americans
(who are thus well to the left of the Republican and Democratic parties).

But it's certainly not wrong to say (though Blum ridicules it) as a
general rule that "If the government is doing it, it's oppressive and
we're against it" -- given whose hands the government is in.  The
political struggles in America in our lifetimes have been to force the
government to act in the interests of the majority rather than in those
of the few who control wealth and power in the country -- and to do that
we have to recognize what the latter group wants desperately to conceal:
that those interests are competing and contradictory, not identical
("the national interest").

And incidentally the late Ellen Willis was surely wrong to write (during
the Clinton administration) that corporations "have far more power than
government to dictate our behavior and the day-to-day terms of our
existence," as if there were a settled opposition.  The American
corporate economy works in and through the government; that's been the
case with capitalism since a now-forgotten German social scientist
pointed out that "the executive of the modern state is but a committee
for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie."

The great error of Libertarianism does seem to be to think that liberty
for real people is compatible with liberty for "legal persons,"
corporations -- and not to recognize that it is precisely the latter
that vitiates the former. But the only difference between the
Libertarians on this point and the Republican and Democrat supporters of
the "Washington consensus" (neoliberalism) is that Libertarians seem
honestly (if mistakenly) to believe it, while "mainstream" (they aren't)
politicians are cynical about it.  E.g., to what extent is USG policy
(Republican or Democrat) in the Middle East impelled by a real desire to
establish liberty there (unless by liberty you mean a seemingly-legal
arrangement that follows Washington's orders)?

It's unworthy of Blum to jeer at Ron Paul's opposition to the Iraq war
-- which Paul opposes as contrary to the best traditions of the Untied
States -- by asking, "Would he have the same attitude ... if the war
were ... being fought by, for, and in the name of a consortium of
Lockheed Martin, Halliburton, Bechtel...?" (In part, because it is.)

Blum is not so foolish as actually to think, as he writes, that it is
"simply the idea or the image of 'a government operation' that bothers"
Paul.  And Blum doesn't mention what Paul is saying about the war that
no other candidate (except Kucinich) is -- e.g., what a disaster an
attack on Iran would turn out to be, and the possibility of a
Gulf-of-Tonkin incident as an occasion for such an attack.

A more substantive commentator on Paul wrote, "The Patriot Act, the
Military Commissions act, the legislative evisceration of habeas corpus,
and the rise of the surveillance state -- Ron Paul stood like a rock
against the War Party's relentless assault on civil liberties at a time
when it was unpopular to do so."

And I don't see how anyone could look honestly at the Rumsfeld war
department -- or the USG budgets for a generation and more -- and *not*
say, "The government is too bureaucratic, it spends too much money, they
waste the money"!  Blum's tu-quoque argument ("Corporations are
bureaucratic, too!") is an obvious fallacy.

I think Blum's bothered by the weakness of his arguments, because he
moves quickly to charge Paul with heretical pravity: while he's sure
that "most libertarians ... are not racists," he says that "Paul
certainly sounds like one."  He then quotes two apparently damning
comments that he apparently got from "the house organ of the New York
neocons," the New York Sun.  But he relegates to a footnote (not
reproduced in the part quoted) Paul's response that he was not the
author of these remarks -- they were written for a newsletter by a staff
member (whom Paul apparently fired).

Perhaps it would be better to read Paul's own views on race -- e.g.,
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul381.html -- which are debatable but
by no means racist.  They in fact are not that far from the arguments in
what I think is one of the most important political books of the year,
Walter Benn Michaels' *The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to
Love Identity and Ignore Inequality*.  (Of course I know that the modern
heresy-hunters are particularly good at ferreting out "unconscious
racism" -- unless of course it's of the reverse sort that protects black
liberals from criticism).

Although I think Libertarianism is importantly mistaken, I am surprised
to find Blum (and you) repeating the arguments against Paul that are
being used (e.g., by the Sun, the WSJ and George Will) to defend the
"real" Republicans -- Giuliani, Romney and McCain -- against this
eccentric who's threatening to disorder the Republican presidential
campaign by speaking for the majority of voters who oppose the war.
Paul's strength for that reason, in polls formal and informal, is
disturbing the Republican establishment -- more, it seems, than the
Democratic establishment is disturbed by Kucinich and Gravel (and maybe
Richardson and Edwards).  Maybe the Democrats just think they can co-opt
the antiwar sentiment better.

In any case,it's beginning to seem to me that support for Paul in polls
and primaries may do more to disrupt the duopoly's agreement on war
policy -- and express the real views of Americans on that subject, which
they say is the most important issue -- than support for anyone else.
Ceteris paribus, I'll probably vote for him February 5.

Regards, Carl