[Peace-discuss] Town Hall Tuesday, August 28

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 23 18:52:47 CDT 2007

That proportion seems about right for the Democratic party front group
that's organizing the event -- 2 parts Democrat, 1 part liberal and 1
part -- what?  My guess is that the fourth robocall was from the AAEI
(from their D.C. headquarters? -- the RSVP has a Washington area code)
and paid for by, say, the SEIU, a major Democratic party funder.

This would be fine if the money and organization really build effective
opposition to the war, but I've been afraid all along that the "Iraqi
Summer" was primarily an effort to co-opt anti-war sentiment for the
Democrats.  What, specifically, are they demanding of Rep. Johnson when
they say they want to hold him "accountable for his record of supporting
the War"? What do they mean by a "timely [sic] end to the war"?

Are they demanding that Johnson not vote in favor of any more funding
for the war?  That's the method, all admit, whereby Congress could
exercise its constitutional power to end the war, but that hasn't been
AAEI's position.  Are they asking him to support impeachment? Again, no:
the Congressional Democrats have put that off the table.  Is it even
clear that they're asking him to condemn plans to attack Iran?

I actually wonder why Rep. Johnson was one of only several dozen
congresspeople across the country (all Republican, of course) that AAEI
chose to spend some of its Democratic party millions on.  Perhaps they
think that they have a chance to replace Johnson with a Democrat in
November of 2008.

If so, I doubt it will be David Gill, who's now run two campaigns
against Johnson without support from the state or national Democratic
party.  It's much more likely that the model for what the Democrats will
do here in Illinois' 15th Congressional District is what they did in
2006 in the 6th.

(The national Democratic party spent a lot of time and money to
undermine the antiwar movement in the IL 6th CD in 2006, as it did
elsewhere.  In 2004 long-time Republican Rep. Henry Hyde ran for
re-election for he last time.  Surprisingly, an unknown anti-war
Democrat, Christine Cegelis, did well against him, without help from the
party, and ended up with more than 40% of the vote. With Hyde out in
2006, she looked certain to take the seat, in a Democratic year.  But
her mild antiwar stance was too much for the national Democrats, and
they parachuted in a pro-war Iraq veteran, Tammy Duckworth, along with a
million dollars to contest the Democratic primary against Cegelis!  Even
with the money, Duckworth barely defeated Cegelis in the primary -- and
then lost the general election to a rookie Republican, probably because
some anti-war voters stayed away in disgust.  Can the DNC have Cegelis'
fate in mind for David Gill?)

Bush is now comparing Iraq explicitly to Vietnam, and such co-optive
movements were common as opposition to the Vietnam war grew, 40 years
ago.  Incidentally, the administration has just set up their own
astroturf group ("Freedom's Watch") with even more money that the $6.9
million AAEI has (for the summer alone) from Democratic funders:
<http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pro-war-group-spends-millions-
on-ad-campaign-2007-08-22.html>. --CGE