[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul etc.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 23 19:22:07 CDT 2007

Mort--

Apparently I've signally failed to make myself clear.

I agree entirely in being "glad for [Kucinich's] considerable courage in
maintaining principled anti-war and anti-administration positions in a
Washington [sc. a Democratic party] antagonistic and deaf to those
positions."  You're harsher than I am in condemning his
"timidity/cave-in at the last Democratic convention."  And of course it
would not be "better if his voice were absent."

It's true that the repressive tolerance the Democrats show to him is not
his fault -- on the contrary, it's because his views are so threatening
to Democratic party orthodoxy that he has to be sent to Coventry.

And I am certainly not contemptuous of him -- just the opposite.  What I
meant was that Ron Paul was attracting new-minted anti-war voters who a
short while ago would have been contemptuous of Kucinich as a "leftist."

It was Bob, not I, who raised the religiosity-abortion distraction,
apparently to say why the anti-war movement has to be kept safely within
the Democratic party.  I want to insist that, given what the Democratic
party has done with the "anti-war and anti-occupation ... thrust" --
betraying it and isolating views like Kucinich's -- we shouldn't be
contemptuous of other electoral forms of the anti-war movement, notably
the Ron Paul campaign.

We should in fact resist the attempts of the two wings of the property
party to fold the anti-war movement back into their support for an
essentially common war policy. That of course is particularly the job of
the Democrats. --CGE