[Peace-discuss] Israel turning away Darfur refugees

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Aug 25 19:43:34 CDT 2007

why so glum? "we'll never make it - we're doomed..."

Here's the upbeat-we-can-do-it-version:

This week, in a remarkable reversal, the national ADL was forced to
reverse its position on the Armenian genocide, following a grassroots
rebellion of Armenian-American and Jewish-American activists. The
drama included the recantation of a regional ADL director who got
tired of trying to defend the national line against a firestorm of
local opposition, and who was promptly fired by the national office,
which only fueled the rebellion.

P.S. The rebellion was sparked not only by the refusal of national ADL
to use the term "genocide," but by the fact that it was actively
lobbying against the Armenian genocide resolution in Congress. So far
to my knowledge the ADL has not clarified its position on the bill.