[Peace-discuss] dead crow and Public Health

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 28 10:12:42 CDT 2007

For those of you who work with public health, I reported a dead crow in my
yard that was alive last evening. It fits the very strict conditions under
which they need the birds for testing for West Nile Virus, yet they seemed
most uninterested. I even had to ask them to take down the address and
location of the dead bird in case her supervisor, when he becomes
available, might check to see if they want to test it.

They were more concerned that the message machine wasn't working -- I
was the second person to have told them that I had left a message and they
hadn't gotten it. So I know they can count. Yet,

I am now less likely to trust the Public Health reports about West Nile and
the number of cases.

Anyone want to reassure me that their numbers might be correct?

-karen medina