[Peace-discuss] Announcement of Main Event/Iran focus

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 28 15:30:44 CDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:52:09PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Here's a draft of the publicity for tonight's meeting that we discussed
> Sunday. A minimally formatted copy is attached. Comments welcome. --CGE

What would you think of mentioning (even with a link) the Robert Baer
article in Time, the one that you and JFP have each mentioned recently?
      http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1654188,00.html
You point out below that both political parties are explicitly
"leaving all options on the table", and that's very good --
just pushing to get more D-labeled people in power isn't sufficient.
But "options", even immoral and illegal ones, could be raised as just
a way to intimidate an opponent.  It worries me much more to hear
from Baer, who as an ex-CIA officer is in a position to know,
that people now in government who'd be carrying them out
think that those options are liable to be taken.
His article closes with:

    Strengthening the Administration's case for a strike on Iran,
    there's a belief among neo-cons that the IRGC is the one obstacle
    to a democratic and friendly Iran. They believe that if we were
    to get rid of the IRGC, the clerics would fall, and our thirty-years
    war with Iran over. It's another neo-con delusion, but still it
    informs White House thinking.

    And what do we do if just the opposite happens — a strike on Iran
    unifies Iranians behind the regime?  An Administration official told me
    it's not even a consideration. "IRGC IED's are a casus belli for this
    Administration. There will be an attack on Iran."

*That* worries me.  Maybe it will worry other readers too.
Is there room to work some of this in?

   Stuart