[Peace-discuss] Cinemark Recruiting Children

Tammy Watts tammyewatts at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 10:47:23 CST 2007

Hello Everyone:

  My recent experience at the movies will be of interest (and hopefully an outrage) to some, especially those active in counter-recruitment.

  I finally took my two young children (ages 5 and 3 1/2) to see the Bee Movie at a Cinemark theater in Ohio.  Before the previews started, we were treated to some behind-the-scenes looks at upcoming features, commercials, etc.  Then a music video by the rock band 3 Doors Down ensued, entitled "Citizen Soldier," with the Army National Guard logo displayed in the bottom right corner.  My children were then exposed to violent images of soldiers busting down doors in Baghdad, re-enactments of the Revolutionary War, including gun battles, followed by modern footage of tanks, helicopters and more firefights.  The lyrics were even more disturbing, but thankfully the kids didn't pick up on those, including gems like "...a City of God for all I protect."

  According to Cinemark's website, the chain is the 3rd largest in the U.S., with 285 theaters in 38 states.  That's a lot of propaganda, especially when it is shown to captive audiences waiting for a children's movie to start.

  PLEASE forward this widely and I urge you to call or e-mail Cinemark to express concern & outrage.  Contact info is found at http://www.cinemark.com/help.asp  Corporate number is 1-800-246-3627.

  Thank you.

  Tammy

“Individuals have international duties which transcend the national obligations of obedience.” --Nuremberg War Crime Tribunal of 1950