[Peace-discuss] Re: AWARE Tabling Guidelines 12/2007

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 3 15:01:21 CST 2007

Who updated these guidelines?

Is not "IMPEACH" voicing a negative preference for a politician?

Who was on your original To: list? It made it difficult to participate in a discussion when we could not see the list and therefore talk to those who were original recipients.

-karen medina
From Bob Illyes,
Like Stuart, I was surprised to read "AWARE representatives must be careful NOT to  express or impose personal political views." We should not have campaign literature and campaign signs on the table, of course, but this more general restriction has a couple of problems:

1) It is not possible to talk cogently about current US foreign policy without discussing the actions and possible motivations of the neocons, or the spinelessness and complicity of the DNC. This is definitely personal political speech and opinion. Are we to be silent?

2) There is an "official" AWARE position on very little save the undesirability of war, nor can there be, since consensus is required (there is certainly a much broader majority agreement). Once again, are we to be silent?

Am I missing something here? I wasn't at the Sunday meeting. Has the table been taken over by pseudo-Marxists, bent on violence aka "the Revolution", or Libertarians or other anarchists, or the (anti-)Christian right, or some such thing? A little explanation would be helpful regarding this Draconian restriction on speech.

Bob