[Peace-discuss] Words from David Swanson

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Dec 5 18:05:07 CST 2007

David Swanson writes to the UFPJ email list,  often critically of UFPJ.

  http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29076:

…Why is Congress so scared to act against the least popular project
in many years by confronting the least popular president and vice
president this country has ever seen? Why do some in Congress choose
to fund the occupation precisely because Bush would fund it anyway?
Why does the House Judiciary Committee allow open crimes to be
publicly announced with signing statements posted on the White House
website, and not stir? Why has Congress allowed executive refusal to
comply with subpoenas to become routine, after the precedent of
passing an article of impeachment against Nixon for a similar refusal?

I think, fairly clearly, the primary reason for all of this is Nancy
Pelosi's unconstitutional, unconscionable, and even politically
unjustifiable, aversion to impeachment. Her arguments have, however,
long since been answered.  [I think it runs deeper than this--mkb]

But what about peace activist organizations? Why do they go along
with the pretense of supporting bills destined to be vetoed rather
than demanding a cut off of funds or - what is ultimately required -
impeachment? I don't have a good answer, but part of he answer is the
influence on activists of politicians who tell them that they are
friends, who make them feel powerful, and who echo what everyone
hears on their televisions about the Democrats' inability to act no
matter how much they supposedly want to, and about the supposedly all-
important elections 12 months away.

The other of the two biggest public secrets in U.S. politics is that
you, dear reader, are not a freak. You imagine that you are in a
minority wanting to end the occupation, and so you worry about
persuading your neighbors rather than forcing your congress members
to act. You suppose that only a handful of people want impeachment or
single-payer health care or green energy, even though these are all
majority positions. And, most dramatically, you imagine that because
you are a freak, the candidates you feel inclined to support for
public office must be different from the candidates you should, as an
educated TV viewer, actually support.

But this is how democracy dies. This is democracy stripped from our
souls, where Walt Whitman tried to plant it, and installed in the
machinations of corporate pundits and corrupt parties. Until we can
believe that who we like and what we want of them are things that
others share, until we define our personal preferences as precisely
what is most "viable", we can have no growing democracy. We are
currently keeping secret from ourselves the idea that we even want it.