[Peace-discuss] The media, in the UK, but also here.

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Dec 6 10:49:26 CST 2007

This is an excerpt from Media Lens [http://www.medialens.org/alerts/
index.php ] castigating the UK media and in particular the liberal
Guardian Weekly (to which I admit to subscribing) for its handling of
news from Iraq. It of course also applies to the U.S. "liberal" media
such as the NYT or the WP. In this piece, Medialens denounces the dry
unemotional  way in which  the Guardian treats the suffering of the
Iraq war/occupation. The following quotes an Iraqi, Riverbend,  a
witness (now in refuge in Syria) to the suffering.  --mkb

…“As the situation continues to deteriorate both for Iraqis inside
and outside of Iraq, and for Americans inside Iraq, Americans in
America are still debating on the state of the war and occupation -
are they winning or losing? Is it better or worse.

“Let me clear it up for any moron with lingering doubts: It’s worse.
It’s over. You lost. You lost the day your tanks rolled into Baghdad
to the cheers of your imported, American-trained monkeys. You lost
every single family whose home your soldiers violated. You lost every
sane, red-blooded Iraqi when the Abu Ghraib pictures came out and
verified your atrocities behind prison walls as well as the ones we
see in our streets. You lost when you brought murderers, looters,
gangsters and militia heads to power and hailed them as Iraq’s first
democratic government. You lost when a gruesome execution was dubbed
your biggest accomplishment. You lost the respect and reputation you
once had. You lost more than 3000 troops. That is what you lost
America. I hope the oil, at least, made it worthwhile.”

This honesty shamed just about every last journalist writing in the
UK media. Riverbend now writes, far less often, as a refugee in Syria. …