[Peace-discuss] Democrats cave completely

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:32:57 CST 2007

At 01:11 PM 12/12/2007, you wrote:

>I don't think the term Mephistophelian bargain makes the right point. As I
>understand it that bargain gives up something of oneself (your soul, so to
>speak) for some gain. In this case the DEMS may selling their souls to
>gain some domestic benefits, but it says nothing about the effect on the
>Iraqis and Afghans, as if they did not matter. My point is that the
>bargain is trading Iraqi lives for domestic gains. The DEMs may be selling
>their souls, but more than that is that they are willing to keep killing
>Iraqis for some those gains. To see it as a Mephistophelian bargain is to
>ignore the effect on the Iraqis -- a kind of ethnocentricity (like racism
>but where the offense isn't to a race but to a people).

Depends on who you perceive as being the Mephistopheles character(s) in my
little literary metaphor.  The devil and his minions deal in souls of all
kinds.  They don't care whose soul is being sacrificed.  The more the better.

Regardless of your literary interpretation, please be assured that no one
in THIS thread on THIS list has ignored the impact on the Iraqis.

Lucifer