[Peace-discuss] FCC Votes for Big Media: Throw the Rules Out

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:20:21 CST 2007

One of the main reasons the FCC developed was due to the technical aspects
of radio stations overlapping signals which made for a bit of a mess. As
such part of operating a radio station, and later television was to avoid
this. The philosophy behind this is that airwaves are considered to be
"public property" and could be regulated.

With the advent of cable the industry could well argue that with signals
being carried by either a cable or satellite connection the public property
argument is not as strong. This resulted in much of the deregulation we have
seen.

The rule that prohibits newspapers from owning radio/tv stations originated
in the 1960's and anyone who owned both a newspaper and radio/tv station
prior to this rule was able to continue ownership under a grandfather
clause. This is why locally both the News-Gazette and WDWS/WHMS are owned by
the same company.

Personally I believe that it will take a group of people who are willing to
file anti-trust suits against the media conglomerates before any type of
impact will be felt. While the FCC can regulate broadcast and cable - it
cannot touch private ownership and publication of print media.