[Peace-discuss] AJC Poll Results

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 09:08:01 CST 2007

This articulates why I don't take heart in the recent poll results by the American Jewish Committee. While I don't agree with Petras on the power of the Israel Lobby that he has ranted about in other pieces, I do agree with his and Weiss's analysis. I think we see clear evidence of this in our local Jewish community, for which passivity (amidst official support for the war) was consent during the run-up to the Iraq war. It's an open secret that behind this was the tepid association of the antiwar movement with the Palestinian cause. At the local level, it was simply inconceivable that any significant number (or any, for that matter) affiliated Jews would stand with AWARE on North Prospect, no less publicly express opposition to the invasion. I think that if an invasion of Iran were on the table, we would see the same thing all over again. Liberal Jewish support for Israel helps to enforce the neocon agenda. This will be demonstrated in their support for Hillary Clinton, as
 it was with Lieberman.

  Philip Weiss
How Anti-Iraq-War Jews Licensed Neoconservatism
Mondoweiss
December 17, 2007

Ever since the rise of the neocons, my liberal Democratic mother and I have had the same argument. I say, "They're Jews, and they're representing Jewish political aims." She says, "No they're not. They're a bunch of rightwing nuts. You keep talking about the Jewish support for the Iraq war; every Jew I know was against it."

I've never had a very articulate answer for my mother. Till I read James Petras's wonderful piece on an AJC poll that makes her point--most American Jews opposed the Iraq war and oppose an attack on Iran...

One reason for the gap between the ?progressive? polling results and the actual pro-war behavior of the major American Jewish Organizations is found in several of the opinions not cited by progressive analysts but emphasized by the 52 leaders of the major communal organizations (Daily Alert, December 13, 2007). Over eighty percent (82%) of American Jews agree that ?the goal of the Arabs is not the return of occupied territories but rather the destruction of Israel?. Only 12% of Jews disagree. And 55% to 37% do not believe Israel and its Arab neighbors will settle their differences and live in peace. On the key issue of a compromise on the key issue of Jerusalem, by 58% to 36% American Jews reject an Israeli compromise to insure a framework for permanent peace.

Given the high salience of being pro-Israel for the majority of American Jews and the fact that the source of their identity stems more from their loyalty to Israel than to the Talmud or religious myths and rituals, then it is clear that both the ?progressive, majority of Jews and the reactionary minority who head up all the major American Jewish organizations have a fundamental point of agreement and convergence: Support and identity with Israel and its anti-Arab prejudices, its expansion and the dispossession of Palestine. [my emphasis] This overriding convergence allows the reactionary Presidents of the Major Jewish Organizations in America to speak for the Jewish community with virtually no opposition from the progressive majority either within or without their organizations. By raising the Israeli flag, repeating clichés about the ?existential threat? to Israel at each and every convenient moment, the majority of Jews have bowed their heads and acquiesced or, worst,
 subordinated their other ?progressive? opinions to actively backing the leaders ?identity? with Israel. Their franchise on being the recognized Jewish spokespeople intimidates and/or forces progressive Jews to publicly abide to the line that ?Israel (sic) knows what is best for Israel? and by extension for all American Jews who identify with Israel.

Petras has just about nailed it. The crazy rightwingers are actually speaking in the name of progressive Jews. These rightwingers aren't fringies. They are supported. They dominate the leadership of Jewish organizations and as I have noted here before, gained support for the Iraq war from an overwhelming majority of anti-Vietnam- war Jewish Democratic congressmen. The Jane Harman type. Which is to say that neoconservatism has been licensed by the larger Jewish community, because secretly or unconsciously that community feels that these guys are standing up for Israel. The neocons are the tough brother-in-law.

When will we disown him? I keep waiting for the Jewish soulsearching over what neocon Jewish ideas about Arabs have done to the Middle East, Jewish identity, and America. But progressive Jews won't lead that soulsearching until they acknowledge their own agency in the mess. Until they accept that Jerusalem doesn't belong to the Jews. 58% to 36% against dividing Jerusalem! My god. No wonder Camp David fell apart over that issue...