[Peace-discuss] Israel Lobby

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 28 16:49:10 CST 2007

The question is not, does an Israel lobby exist -- of course it does --
but who gives a better account of its nature and influence, M&W or
Zunes? I think the answer is clearly the latter.  Zunes writes, "There
is no denying that the Israel Lobby can be quite influential,
particularly on Capitol Hill and in its role in limiting the broader
public debate. [It is however] incredibly naïve to assume that U.S.
policy in the Middle East would be significantly different without AIPAC
and like-minded pro-Zionist organizations."

M&W's book is dedicated to Samuel P. Huntington (whom Chomsky used to
jeer at for his title as "Professor of the Science of Government" at
Harvard), the originator of the "clash of civilizations" argument.  M&W
and their mentor Huntington belong to the "realist" school of American
political science [sic] that did so much to makes pol. sci. departments
  in US universities so ridiculous in the Vietnam era and afterwards.
M&W's "realism" is shown when they write about the 2003 invasion that
"Some Americans believe that this was a war for oil, but there is hardly
any direct evidence to support this claim" [sic]!

Having ignored the reason for the war, they have to invent another one,
viz., "the war was motivated in good part by a desire to make Israel
more secure" [sic]. This, even though we now know that the Israeli
government was rather hesitant about the Bush's administration's
determination to invade.

If the invasion of Iraq wasn't about oil, what were the US interests,
undermined in so dastardly a fashion by the Lobby? Writing in 1993,
Chomsky gives the general answer of the Realist School, to which M&W
adhere:

One might take the heroic stand that in the special case of the United
States, facts are irrelevant. Thus the Eaton Professor of the Science of
Government at Harvard instructs us that the United States must maintain
its "international primacy" for the benefit of the world, because its
"national identity is defined by a set of universal political and
economic values," namely "liberty, democracy, equality, private
property, and markets" (Samuel Huntington). Since this is a matter of
definition, so the Science of Government teaches, it would be an error
of logic to bring up the factual record. What may have happened in
history is merely "the abuse of reality," an elder statesman of the
"realist" school explained 30 years ago; "reality itself" is the
unachieved "national purpose" revealed by "the evidence of history as
our minds reflect it," and that shows that the "transcendent purpose" of
the United States is "the establishment of equality in freedom in
America," and indeed throughout the world, since "the arena within which
the United States must defend and promote its purpose has become
world-wide" (Hans Morgenthau).

Zunes refers, succinctly and accurately, to "a rather simplistic and
reductionist understanding of U.S. foreign policy by these prominent
center-right international relations scholars."  He points out that his
own critique of M&W was criticized by "those who insisted that it was
not oil interests, military contractors, ideological imperialists, and
related powerful sectors of America’s ruling class who were responsible
for the U.S. invasion of Iraq and other tragic manifestations of U.S.
foreign policy in the Middle East, but was instead the responsibility of
a rich cabal of Jews who manipulated the Bush administration to engage
in policies it would not have otherwise supported."

That's nonsense, and it's good of Zunes to say so. --CGE