[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] New Orleans Housing Fight

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 28 17:09:57 CST 2007

[From an economists' list.  --CGE]

"Providence [Community Housing] and the AFL-CIO Investment Trust
Corporation were recently awarded 196 blighted and/or adjudicated
properties, as part of a major new iniative to partner with local
residents/groups in planning the rebuilding of the Tremé/Lafitte &
Tulane/Gravier neighborhoods.  Our advisors on this project include
NeighborWorks, M.I.T.'s School of Architecture, and Tulane
University's UrbanBUILD.

"The AFL-CIO is also preparing to launch a comprehensive worker
training and apprenticeship program in New Orleans.  For more
information on the AFL-CIO's committment to the Gulf Coast region,
click here."

http://www.providencecommunityhousing.org/

More on the non-profit industrial complex behind the demolitions here:

"Non-Profit developer Providence Community Housing and investment
capital provider Enterprise Community Partners will be able to start
renovating New Orleans' Lafitte public housing development because of
a unanimous New Orleans City Council vote Thursday to continue
rebuilding several of the city's public housing developments."

http://www.multi-housingnews.com/multihousing/content_display/industry-news/e3ib0a0e19d738c301e401b59cef40ccaa1?imw=Y

	###