[Peace-discuss] Is Iowa important?

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Sun Dec 30 12:22:30 CST 2007

This is assessment by Mike Flugennock  is the first realistic assessment
that I have seen on this list or anywhere else that does not buy into the
overly optimistic premises that in the long run Democracy is good and things
will work out for the better in the future because the possibility that
there can be candidates for public office can be trusted, that there are
progressive and radical candidates who are not caught up in the
establishment game supporting basic establishment premises and looking out
for their own self-interests, and that the electoral process is not merely a
circulation of establishment elites or their representatives who are only
willing to make symbolic gestures or minor reforms in unimportant ways to
the peripheral values and assumptions that govern this society.

The only thing to add is that what was said for the Democrats and Democratic
Party is equally true of the Republicans and the Republican Party and
probably most third party candidates who have enough strength and resources
to become a candidate for any office at any level.