[Peace-discuss] Fwd: The Evangelical Rebellion by Chris Hedges

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 08:55:23 CST 2007

I suppose that Social Darwinism broadly construed did define American political thought at least until World War I, but wouldn't one also make a distinction between conservative Social Darwinists and the Social Gospel? I realize that the latter also facilitated the rise of the corporate state, but at least there was room at one end of their tent for John Dewey, etc., however futile his efforts turned out to be.

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:  I don't think it's clear that the people whose reading of Origin of
Species and Genesis you disagree with are necessarily stupid or ignorant
(and I don't agree with them either).

Bryan, e.g., who's been made a figure of fun so that his politics could
be forgotten, saw that evolution was being used in the early 20th
century to justify rapacious capitalist practices -- what we tend to
isolate as "social Darwinism" but was part of the progressive view a
century ago. It was for example the basis of the eugenics movement in
America, which the Nazis acknowledged showed them the way. (A cousin of
mine was a principal figure in the movement.) Bryan's politics are
certainly to be preferred to those of his president, Woodrow Wilson.

Cockburn is disturbed I think primarily by the gap between the
pretensions of the American political system and anything like real
democracy (which American liberals fear, because they think that the
people are stupid and ignorant). --CGE