[Peace-discuss] C. Wright Mills, Power Elite, Karma, 9/11, action....

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Tue Feb 13 00:22:01 CST 2007

People should really consider reviving C. Wright Mills and the concept of the Power Elite.  His radical
critique of the Military Metaphysic in American culture and the mass culture filled with Cheerful Robots
certainly stands today.  His conception of American society as dominted by an iron triangle of executive
governmental power, corporate finance, and military elites certainly explains the direction of the United
States over the last 4-5 decades...  We didn't do such a good job heeding Eisenhower's warnings about
the rise of the military-industrial complex and the covert  "deep" politics in the furtherance of empire
since that time.  I think America is done.  This system is breaking down and the rich are robbing us
blind before we are abandoned to social disorder, energy depletion, racial hatred, and climate change.
Our lack of vigilance and our own national bad karma has given us the Bush regime, and the best we'll
get in 2008 is Hillary Clinton.  As George Carlin says in Life is Worth Losing (2005), "The tables are
tilted, the game is rigged, and nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care.  And that is what the
owners of this country count on; the American people being willfully ignorant of the big red, white, and
blue dick being jammed up their asshole everyday..."     If we really believed in 1963 that an idiot like
Oswald with a cheap Marconi rifle brought down a President who had angered significant factions of the
military-industrial complex over his cautiousness in Cuba and Vietnam; we really don't get it.  If we
really don't see that 911 is an inside job... the molten metal, the controlled demolition of three
skyscrapers hit by only two planes, the stand down of the military, the lies by the Bushes about
everything else why not 911; well, we deserve the government we get...  The fact that AWARE won't deal
with 9/11 is a weakness as far as I'm concerned.  Our own lack of vigilance precipitated 9/11.  Not only
that, the fact that the vast majority of the country has done absolutely nothing to change this rotten
situation is further proof that we get whatever is coming to us.    We should beg for Good Karma and
work to build a better world and take responsibiltiy for ourselves and our communities.  AWARE's work
in the Champaign-Urbana community stands as a testament to the knowledge among several activists
of this moral imperative.  All good your way...