[Peace-discuss] Arianna, Obama, and the Hollywood ‘Left’

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 15 13:18:29 CST 2007

[Justin Raimondo is the quirky Editorial Director of Antiwar.com, a site
that describes itself as follows: "This site is devoted to the cause of
non-interventionism and is read by libertarians, pacifists, leftists,
greens, and independents alike, as well as many on the Right who agree
with our opposition to imperialism. Our initial project was to fight for
the case of non-intervention in the Balkans under the Clinton presidency
and continued with the case against the campaigns in Haiti, Kosovo and
the bombings of Sudan and Afghanistan. Our politics are libertarian: our
opposition to war is rooted in Randolph Bourne's concept that 'War is
the health of the State.' With every war, America has made a 'great
leap' into statism, and as Bourne emphasizes: '... it is during war that
one best understands the nature of that institution [the State].'  At
its core, that nature includes the ever-increasing threat to individual
liberty and the centralization of political power." Raimondo, who has
been consistently anti-war, seems to me here to get Obama's false
anti-war position right. --CGE]

	Arianna, Obama, and the Hollywood ‘Left’
	Wednesday, February 14th in Politics by Justin Raimondo |

Is anybody else as sick of Arianna Huffington as I am? She was obnoxious
as an ostensibly conservative Republican, predictably bizarre as a
California cultist, and now that she’s the doyenne of the Hollywood
trendy-wendy Left she’s even more galling than ever. Check out her most
recent post on Barack Obama, whose candidacy she’s pushing, in the
course of which she manages to indulge both her liberal myopia and her
odd fixation on Tim Russert:

     "Picking up the rhetorical shank bone, and accepting Obama’s
substance anorexia as a given, Russert asked, 'Is there now a second
phase of the coverage of Barack Obama where reporters and voters will
start demanding from him real specifics on the real challenges
confronting our country and world?'

     "It makes me wonder: don’t these guys own a computer? If they took
the time to surf the websites of any of the candidates, they’d see that
the presidential campaign is already awash in real specifics on all
kinds of real challenges. Indeed, they should go to barackobama.com
right now and click on ‘Issues.' They’ll see something called 'Plan to
End the War in Iraq,' which is… a plan to end the war in Iraq. But maybe
the war isn’t a real enough challenge for Russert."

Really, dah-link, do click on that link promising a “plan to end the war
in Iraq,” and what do you find? This:

     "The plan allows for a limited number of U.S. troops to remain in
Iraq as basic force protection, to engage in counter-terrorism and to
continue the training of Iraqi security forces. If the Iraqis are
successful in meeting the 13 benchmarks for progress laid out by the
Bush Administration, this plan also allows for the temporary suspension
of the redeployment, provided Congress agrees that the benchmarks have
been met."

So, according to Obama and his Hollywood friends, we have to “redeploy”
— never withdraw — starting next year, but only if the Iraqis persist in
failing to be “successful” in meeting 13 mysteriously unspecified
“benchmarks.” The “redeployment” will end, however, if and when the
Iraqis start acting like good colonial subjects and kiss our asses in 13
different positions. And, in any case, we aren’t really leaving, you
silly goose — that’s what “redeployment” is all about, don’tcha know.
We’ll always have a “limited number” of troops garrisoning the Green
Zone, just enough for the Democrats to claim that they’re not “cutting
and running.” More than enough, in short, to keep the Iraqi government
on the American leash — and, perhaps, give the insurgents enough of a
target to emulate Beirut, 1983.

With an “antiwar” candidate like Obama, what do we need John McCain for?
This “plan” is a recipe for a semi-permanent occupation.

I say send we send Arianna, and a “limited number” of the Hollywood
Left, to “train” the Iraqis to jump through hoops and leap over
“benchmarks.” That way we’ll be spared having to listen to her
cocktail-party smalltalk elevated to the level of serious political
discourse.

P.S. Oh, yes, and don’t forget Obama’s refusal to rule out going to war
with Iran (and Pakistan!) …

	###