[Peace-discuss] Feckless Democrats

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 27 19:45:28 CST 2007

[I know, I know -- that subject line is 'way over-used, but here are a
couple of comments form bloggers that seem to em to be on the right
track.  --CGE]

[Quoting Matt Stoller from the blog <mydd.com>:]

     "You may not want to believe it, but the DLC is still in charge of
the party in the form of the New Democrat and Blue Dog caucuses, as well
as a whole crew of consultants warning the party off of dealing with
Iraq. Business lobbyist centrists rule the roost, with progressives
pushed to the side everywhere from the think tank world to Congress to
the Presidentials (no, there is no progressive in the race, and though
several have instincts that way no one has developed yet into a genuine
liberal)."

I would have said they were all genuine liberals. But let's not cavil.

Matt isn't willing to go quite as far as David Sirota, though:

     "The Associated Press today tells the story of how Democrats in
Washington clearly do not want to end the Iraq War.... The renewed
refusal by Democrats to use their majority in even the most basic way to
stop the war is a declaration that the new majority is not close to
using even the most basic powers afforded to it to stop or slow down the
war. In other words, in backing off, the Democrats have just weeks after
the 2006 anti-war election mandate effectively declared themselves as
supportive of the Bush administration's stay-the-course policy - a truly
sickening act of cowardice."

And even David doesn't yet understand that it isn't cowardice at all,
it's commitment. The Democratic party as an institution is committed to
continuing the war, and with all respect to Owen's FSO mole, Mr. Y, I
think they're probably committed to expanding it.

Matt has a solution to the problem, and man is it a bold one:

     "The mechanism for doing so is criticism, and perhaps primary
challenges against some prominent Democrats who are among the worst of
our obstacles."

Don't you love the "perhaps"? Gasp! Matt, you sans-culotte, you!

--<http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org/>