[Peace-discuss] Laura Bush says: "the one bombing a day [in Iraq] discourages everybody"

jenny goodwine jennygoodwine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 20:48:05 CST 2007

Friends, click here to be sickened further by the blatant disregard
for humanity that our administration (in this case, Laura Bush) all
too often expresses:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/012670.php

BUT, after this recent comment by Laura Bush that "many parts of Iraq
are stable now. But, of course, what we see on television is the one
bombing a day that discourages everybody", Jon Stewart of the Daily
Show characteristically puts her harrowingly ignorant and callous
words into perspective:

"It's so discouraging to see that on TV. . . . But Laura, you do
realize that it's not just happening on the TV, right? It's actually
happening. . . .  I know, I know how discouraging it is, for you to
watch it. You know where else it's somewhat discouraging? At the site
of the bombing", says the potent Jon Stewart.

War supporters need to stop admiring the war in Iraq from afar.  They
need to understand it as a severe and immediate reality for Iraqis -
not as some lofty abstraction that loses its barbarity with distance
and a different skin color...

Anyhow, just as a point of further reference, Nick Turse of the Nation
magazine writes (http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=163152) :

'I then pointed out that just last month, in National Defense
Magazine, Col. Robert A. Fitzgerald, the Marine Corps' head of
aviation plans and policy, was quoted as saying that, in 2006, Marine
rotary-wing aircraft flew more than 60,000 combat flight hours, and
fixed-wing platforms completed 31,000. They dropped 80 tons of bombs
and fired 80 missiles, 3,532 rockets and more than 2 million rounds of
smaller ammunition." '

keep on peacin',
jennygoodwine